Why become a member? ×

Keyboard advice

I'm asking for a friend, so I apologise if the question is a little vague. As I gather, she's looking for a keyboard that will be suitable for use with singing lessons, but also light and sturdy enough to schlep to the odd gig. She asked me what I thought of a couple of Yamahas:

PSR E353: http://www.very.co.uk/yamaha-psre353-portable-keyboard/1600078859.prd
and NP12: http://www.very.co.uk/yamaha-np12-piaggero-home-keyboard-black/1600078854.prd

Both of them looked pretty good for the price, as far as I could see. The PSR E353 looks like great fun to tinker with, but after hearing a demo of what I assumed was the NP12's basic piano sound, I reckoned the latter, with a simpler interface, was the better bet.

Anyone got any experience with either model or similar? Anybody care to back up or refute my ill-informed first opinions? More importantly, anybody know if there's an all-round better keyboard my friend could have for the same price?

(And yes, I do realise I'm asking a forum of bassists, but I can't be 'arrised creating an account on KeyboardWaffle.co.uk)

Ta in advance,

EMB

Is she used to playing a real piano? If so neither of them will give her the feel she's used to.
The NP12 is a good little keyboard for the money though, and it's very light too so easy to carry if that's important. It's also got built-in speakers so she wouldn't have to lug an amp to singing lessons.

I was looking at one the other week, but in the end I've decided I'll probably go for a second hand older model Kurzweil (something like a PC88) which can be had for the same money if you're lucky & will be miles better sound & playability wise. It will weigh a ton & need an amp though...

Edited by RhysP

Don't know if this will help but Mrs G is a pianist. She's a Roland fan. We recently bought a Juno for travelling with. She's enjoying that.

What you need to look for is proper weighted keys. Regrettably you won't get that new for anything like £175. But don't forget, keys are as personal as a bass is to you. If it's not for you, then the player needs to go out and try a few. Try [color=#006621][font=arial, sans-serif]www.[/font][/color][b]piano-warehouse[/b][color=#006621][font=arial, sans-serif].co.uk/. We went to the west London store and they were really good for letting Mr G try loads and take her time.[/font][/color]

As you say, you will struggle to find a good, down to earth "pianistchat.com" style site.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1464707669' post='3061654']
Is she used to playing a real piano? If so neither of them will give her the feel she's used to.
The NP12 is a good little keyboard for the money though, and it's very light too so easy to carry if that's important. It's also got built-in speakers so she wouldn't have to lug an amp to singing lessons.

I was looking at one the other week, but in the end I've decided I'll probably go for a second hand older model Kurzweil (something like a PC88) which can be had for the same money if you're lucky & will be miles better sound & playability wise. It will weigh a ton & need an amp though...
[/quote]

Kurzweils are great! I've got a PC361 which I bought years ago and even when new it was significantly less expensive than the competition. Not only do they sound good but they use a very, very powerful synthesis model called VAST which, if you want to get into that sort of thing, will keep you busy for years. Of course, you don't have to get that involved with the programming, you can always use the presets, most of which are very good too.