Why become a member? ×

Cort A5 SP custom lack of love.

markstuk

Hi folks,

some input requested - I've been sitting on this for just over a year and I don't have any love at the moment.. It just sort of sounds uninspiring.. My other basses are a Dinger ABZ5 and a custom Jazz (lak-a-like) clone (nordstrand gig singles and East J-retro) which I get on much better with.

It's a beautifully built bass (until you look in the control cavity) and I'm not sure whether to rip out the existing pickups/pre amp or just move it on..

Thoughts/recommendations?

I've reviewed the A6 and I really liked it. I can't remember off the top of my head we were plugged in to though. Could have been a TH500 and Bergy CN212 at the time. It felt familiar to me as I'm used to and have played Tobias, Conklin and now Shuker basses that I think have a similar neck profile.

I can't comment on the 5 string as I've not had the pleasure of playing one yet but I've always liked the look of the A series. Even this one! As for recommendations - well, I have to say that every time I've had a bass with Bartolini pickups in, I've taken them out. Strangely, every time I've installed something with bar magnets like EMG DC pickups, or the rather superb Aguilar DCBs in EMG width. Aggie also do Bart size shells too, so maybe give them a go? The East circuit is always going to get a thumbs up, especially the SP(?) version with the adjustable frequency centres.

Upgrade or move on? Well, play the bass for a good week or so unplugged. Decide if it feels good to play and sounds good acoustically. Hopefully that will help you decide. Oh! Stick different strings on too! I've just transformed my P bass by not using one type of string over another. It seems to have taken on a new life!!!

Shame you aren't closer as it's a bass I'd like to try myself at some point.

Dan

Hi Dan

Acoustically it's fine, which leads me to the option of a electronics change.. As I'm a "get the source right" sort of person, I'd likely change the pups first, probably to some split coil nordstrands, and then the preamp...

It's not urgent so maybe I'll keep an eye out for some bart soapbar size pickups on here...

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1464777021' post='3062361']
Hi Dan

Acoustically it's fine, which leads me to the option of a electronics change.. As I'm a "get the source right" sort of person, I'd likely change the pups first, probably to some split coil nordstrands, and then the preamp...

It's not urgent so maybe I'll keep an eye out for some bart soapbar size pickups on here...
[/quote]

Those Nord' Big Singles are pretty tasty, I reckon they'd be a nice option too, or as I've suggested, the Aguilar pickups are superb too.

I upgraded my Cort GB75 with Aguilar pickups and it's a massive improvement, however the preamp is still colouring the sound a little which I dislike. I am tempted to remove it altogether and just have a passive bass since there's already £200 of pickups in a £75 bass, I don't fancy another £150 on a new preamp.