Why become a member? ×

NAD Handbox 400 like WOT's but with lights.

gary mac

[quote name='Sparky Mark' timestamp='1465601466' post='3069656']
One feature of this amp that I don't think has been commented on yet is the absence of surface mounted components. From WOT's thread photos the PCBs all appear to be hand soldered through hole construction which are a whole lot easier to service and repair than high density SMT.

If I didn't already own a shed full of heads I would have one on order as they are in a different class to the easy to produce, almost impossible to repair units that now prevail.

HB have certainly put a great deal of effort into the aesthetics of their amps which I really like and it will be interesting to see if they continue to offer the variety of cosmetic and casing options once they become more established.
[/quote]

They are very well established in their home country though, so I suspect that those options will continue to be offered. :)

[quote name='Sparky Mark' timestamp='1465601466' post='3069656']
One feature of this amp that I don't think has been commented on yet is the absence of surface mounted components. From WOT's thread photos the PCBs all appear to be hand soldered through hole construction which are a whole lot easier to service and repair than high density SMT.

If I didn't already own a shed full of heads I would have one on order as they are in a different class to the easy to produce, almost impossible to repair units that now prevail.

HB have certainly put a great deal of effort into the aesthetics of their amps which I really like and it will be interesting to see if they continue to offer the variety of cosmetic and casing options once they become more established.
[/quote]

I commented on wateroftynes post that the insides seemed well thought out or better than many others. Also non cluttered, proper through hole components. Should be more reliable and easier to work on.
I'm not an expert but with common sense and some knowledge you can still see which amps have a good design and the ones which have design faults or traits likely to cause difficult service. These amps seemed to be good.
Many amps are let down be very cramped surface mounted boards designed to be made as quick as possible and throw in maybe one or two silly design traits. Mainly all due to cost cutting and sometimes lack of forethought. And with the bigger companies it really is sometimes about the margins.
Not saying all surface mounted, complex and often cluttered pcb gear is bad.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1465898224' post='3071890']
I commented on wateroftynes post that the insides seemed well thought out or better than many others. Also non cluttered, proper through hole components. Should be more reliable and easier to work on.
I'm not an expert but with common sense and some knowledge you can still see which amps have a good design and the ones which have design faults or traits likely to cause difficult service. These amps seemed to be good.
Many amps are let down be very cramped surface mounted boards designed to be made as quick as possible and throw in maybe one or two silly design traits. Mainly all due to cost cutting and sometimes lack of forethought. And with the bigger companies it really is sometimes about the margins.
Not saying all surface mounted, complex and often cluttered pcb gear is bad.
[/quote]

Yes but more importantly, they come in some lovely colours and finishes :lol:

• 3 weeks later...