Why become a member? ×

Best little amp head for growl?

goonieman

Hi All,

I love a nice deep low-mid growl tone. I have a Sterling SB14 - which is a wonderful piece of kit. Covers the low-mids very well, and loads of growl.

However, my Gallien Krueger 150 MBE-III head seems a little lacklustre to me on that front (i'm not greatly experienced in heads - I had a small Eden combo before this). Maybe i'm just over-familiar with it... but anyway, I've tweaked the boost knob, and adjusted the gain to where it juuuust starts to breakup (AKA 'hitting the rails' on a GK amp?). It sounds good, but I'd like to know if there is another way i'm missing.

Let me define MY idea of growl (YMMV): low-mids grind, not affecting the low bass or highs, especially not the highs. So we are not talking overdrive or distortion here. Of course I know it is also about playing dynamics and strings - but let's please exclude those for now. I'm concentrating on the amp.

It does not need to be mega gigworthy. My little GK 150 is about the right ballpark.

Any thoughts on a little amp head? - maybe MB200, or Aguilar, or Ampeg?

cheers

[quote name='goonieman' timestamp='1465332729' post='3067341']
yes, but its a 200w cab...?!
[/quote]

Is it 8ohms? If so you'll be getting a maximum of 300W from the Fusion. And you won't be running it anywhere near maximum volume levels, that's for sure. Your ears will tell you if you're overdoing it. I doubt you'd want to play that loud. :)

I'm using a 300W@8ohm amp with my BF One10 and it's perfectly fine. Just don't go nuts.

Edited by discreet