Why become a member? ×

Ampeg B100R speaker blown?

Westenra

My not so favourite B100R ran into a bit of bother this morning, I was trying out my new bass with her and she was clipping in some places. I had the gain at about 11 o'clock with the volume just below noon, so she wasn't going all that loud. Stupidly I tried my toneworks pharaoh fuzz with it and after a few clips the sound disappeared completely. The headphones still work so obviously the EQ circuit is all functional and the input light comes on when there's a signal yet nothing from the speaker. One would assume the speaker has blown right? Has anyone taken one of these apart or faced the same issue? Was about to sell it as well!

If the speaker has blown it would fart. It's more likely that a fuse has blown somewhere between the amp and the speaker. Some speaker cabs have a little bulb (you can sometimes see them lighting up the inside of your speaker cab) which will blow to protect your speaker.

I would do some googling on an Ampeg forum and get the screw driver out to search for fuses, either on the board, or between amp and speaker, if I were you.