Why become a member? ×

Headed & Headless

Kevin Dean

Ok, so - My headed has different strings on at the moment so it will feel different, but I'd be surprised if it was the same in that the same way as a guitar with a full locking trem feels different (on string bends especially) than a non-locking and floating trem.

Tonally my basses have the same wood, same construction, same electronics and same pickups. The headed seems to have a bigger tone that is maybe a little scooped and a little brighter in the sort of 6k region. The headless by comparison has the same big punchy low end but has a slightly more mid focus and less of the 6k peak.

That's only a side by side comparison and the differences are so subtle that you wouldn't tell at a gig and very easy to EQ in or out those subtleties. Further more, you couldn't then say that the headed was 'more toppy' than a passive jazz bass, because both tonally have very big tones, just different.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1469373498' post='3097779']
Thanks :) I love my 36" but when I play in small pubs quite often & because of my height I've caught my singer in the back of he head & other objects ..never mind them but it knocks my tuners ;)
[/quote]

With my headless, the clamp system I used to use (Jon is upgrading now), it would have six sharp string ends sticking out. I think I may have caught my singer's arm one too many times and now he makes me stand on the other side of the stage!