Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

I decided that after my two-year sabbatical, I would start using pedals again. My old pedal box was a bit of a disaster as the lining wasn't as good as proper velcro, so a car journey on its side and all the pedals would fall off. I decided to go for something a bit smaller but better organised to make me cut down the pedal count (ha!) This Gokko one of Amazon was less than £40 even going for the premium orange coloured version. It has an easily removed base for my PSU and lots of 2" velcro (although I had to add some strips of loop in teh base for the PSU). It even has a matching orange padded bag.

Gokkopedalboard.thumb.jpg.276682a8695f3d4c9f3178f68350eb86.jpg

It's a mix of old school and modern, but a bit sad some of my other pedals didn't make the cut. Pedal order is not obvious, due to what I wanted at the front and practicalities of where leads go:

1 - my homebrew Death Note switcher featuring Ryuk the Shingami. His Shingami eyes light up when a lead is plugged in and the one selected glows even brighter. Unused inputs are grounded via a 22K resistor. Surprisingly complicated to figure out the wiring!

2 - Boss TU3, not just a tuner but a convenient mute switch.

3 - An, err, new addition, the Demonfx Pearl White Autowah. This is a direct clone of the Mad Professor Snow White and it's opened up a huge range of new options. Set the sensitivity low for slap or near 12 o'clock for fingerstyle and you can either get classic autowah sounds (think Fly Away) or increase decay and you can ride it rather like riding the gain for overdrive effects, except it's like a variable tone control.

4 - TC Electronics Forcefield Compressor. OK, it's a Behringer in a bullet-proof box, but it works really well adding harmonic texture without cutting the bottom end as well as keeping my crap slap under some sort of control.

5 - Joyo XVI polyphonic octaver. It does make some incredible sounds, but is definitely best used in moderation. It would be nice to have two or three set up to suit different songs - I hate knob twiddling during a performance.

6 - Ibanez Digital Stereo Chorus. Wowser, apparently these fetch about £150 these days! But you can't have it, with everything dialed in the direction of slow, wide, deep and high it will stand in for anything wanting a general purpose 'effected' sound without having to pack a phaser and a flanger as well.

7 - TC Electronics Mojo Mojo Overdrive. At my first gig using it again I learnt not to set the drive too high, but set right it can add more consistent grit with less finger battering than digging in for a whole song. A test showed it was darker than a tube screamer clone and the HM2 was just too OTT.

8 - My homebrew 'Nano Gumpinator', a 24 db/octave high pass filter with the knee at 32Hz. Takes away all the handling noise and certainly appears to be kind to my speakers.

(Interesting aside, my phone camera recognised the 'Forcefield' as a face and focused on it!)

• Like 3