Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

New things have been accidentally bought, @jimbobothy showed me how the pros use dual lock, and I had enough patch cables…

IMG_0968.thumb.jpeg.eb6d49c96576923907591ae8c1f87b8d.jpeg

tuner - oc10 - C4 - H9 - iron man - Omnicomp - L4 preamp - shallow water clone - Anadime - H9 - colourbox 

New are the valeton oc10 which is just amazing (and was an accident buying)

and the H9max which can do so much and pushed the zoom ms70cdr off the board… lots of crossover with the C4 so we will see how that goes

I wanna know how the pros use dual lock!

Spread the knowledge...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lidl e said:

I wanna know how the pros use dual lock!

Spread the knowledge...

You’ll need to sign up to Jim’s pedal lessons and do the dual lock and Velcro accelerator course then!

(v small squares, very neatly done) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've posted photos of my pedalboards relatively regularly over the last three months as I've been waiting for a shoulder injury to heal. As of a week ago, all of the boards I own are now fully assembled so I hope you'll permit me another group shot.

As you'll see (although a lot of you know already), I am somewhat obsessed by pedals. They are my main interest and I enjoy the process of putting boards together and trying out new pedals. I'll never have more boards assembled at once than I do now (because why would anyone) so I wanted to take a photo for posterity.

I've been playing cleaner preamps of late so I intend to assemble a much heavier board soon to sit alongside my main board (in the bottom left), which will involve disassembling three or four of the others. I'd also like at some point to put together Moose and Magic/Dunwich boards so I may take the opportunity after disassembling some of the others. Overall though, my intention now is to start downsizing the number of boards, pedals and power supplies, with a few of my pedals starting to appear in the classifieds already.

I'm always keen to chat about pedals and frequently scour the effects thread, but please feel free to chat to me about pedals by message too!

From top left to bottom right:

Sci-fi > European > Iron Ether > EAE > Minis > Broughton > Grab-and-Go > 3 Leaf Audio > Clean Signal > Main > Practice

Compared to my earlier group shot (29 February, I think), I've added the Main board (I was waiting on the DLA-2A), Sci-fi board (I was waiting on a couple of pedals and will be rejigging that slightly soon) and Grab-and-go board, rejigged my 3 Leaf board (to add the LBB), and reassembled my mini board.

Pedalboards.thumb.jpg.c1e8630d84373c2a9b3b1ea1e575f73f.jpg

Pedalboards-Back.thumb.jpg.16697810a9ad20803a186fd43b501913.jpg

• Like 14

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, admiralchew said:

I've posted photos of my pedalboards relatively regularly over the last three months as I've been waiting for a shoulder injury to heal. As of a week ago, all of the boards I own are now fully assembled so I hope you'll permit me another group shot.

As you'll see (although a lot of you know already), I am somewhat obsessed by pedals. They are my main interest and I enjoy the process of putting boards together and trying out new pedals. I'll never have more boards assembled at once than I do now (because why would anyone) so I wanted to take a photo for posterity.

I've been playing cleaner preamps of late so I intend to assemble a much heavier board soon to sit alongside my main board (in the bottom left), which will involve disassembling three or four of the others. I'd also like at some point to put together Moose and Magic/Dunwich boards so I may take the opportunity after disassembling some of the others. Overall though, my intention now is to start downsizing the number of boards, pedals and power supplies, with a few of my pedals starting to appear in the classifieds already.

I'm always keen to chat about pedals and frequently scour the effects thread, but please feel free to chat to me about pedals by message too!

Sci-fi > European > Iron Ether > EAE > Minis > Broughton > Grab-and-Go > 3 Leaf Audio > Clean Signal > Main > Practice

Compared to my earlier group shot (29 February, I think), I've added the Main board (I was waiting on the DLA-2A), Sci-fi board (I was waiting on a couple of pedals and will be rejigging that slightly soon) and Grab-and-go board, rejigged my 3 Leaf board (to add the LBB), and reassembled my mini board.

Holy pedal board, Batman! :o

Looks awesome, and a lot of pretty awesome pedals in between too, but do you actually make use all these boards, and in that case how?

Also I don't quite get the concept of concept boards, that is the couple of your boards with all same type of pedals on, as in all same brand or all mini pedals, I mean it looks great, sure, but does this actually work optimally/satisfactory in practice/reality?

Seems to me that it would be more of an aesthetics based thing than an actual practical/tone/needs based one.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Holly pedal board, Batman!

Looks awesome, and a lot of pretty awesome pedals in between, but do you actually make use all these boards, and in that case how?

Also I don't quite get the concept of concept boards, that is the couple of boards with all same pedals on, as in all same brand or all min pedals, does this actually work satisfactory in practice/reality?

The quick answer is no, I don't make regular use of all of the boards but I play each as often as I can, they do all get used (even if not often) and I've tried to arrange them as sensibly as possible so that they are actually all useful and workable boards in their own right. I mainly use either my Noble board, practice board (bottom right) or, more recently, main board (bottom left). The practice board, minis board and Broughton boards have also been used to jam with too and the European board is getting an outing soon.

The Broughton, European and minis boards are concept boards but are fully featured (compressor, octave, drive, fuzz, distortion, envelope, modulation) and can easily be used as full pedalboards. The 3 Leaf board too is an excellent board for synth tones and for general fat tone as the Vulcan and Enabler are fantastic bits of kit. The EAE board is more limited in comparison but it has a delay and reverb so I spend a decent amount of time with that board and a pair of headphones. The Iron Ether board is the most challenging to get regular use from but, after moving, it seemed a shame to keep them in boxes and I had a spare pedalboard lying around. Even that board sounds surprisingly good though as it has octave, fuzz, envelope, chorus and modulation on it. The sci-fi board is a pet project and, again, is fully featured (with a delay coming soon to round out the pedal-types I typically use). I see a lot of boards out there on Instagram and the like that look great but, I suspect, would sound pretty terrible. I've tried hard to make these useful. If I didn't have a big board like the bottom left or right board, I wouldn't make one-manufacturer boards. There's definitely an aesthetic/collector element to the concept boards but I'm fine with that: I spent a long time getting the pedals together and some of them are works of art so I'd rather display them on a board I can use than keep them in a box.

The boards are totally overkill and, if I could keep one, it would be the bottom left board or the Noble board.

Edited by admiralchew
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, admiralchew said:

Beautiful man. Just beautiful. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, admiralchew said:

As you'll see (although a lot of you know already), I am somewhat obsessed by pedals.

Those boards look lovely! Although I have an itch on IE, tce, and Cog, there's one rat and cheese down there, which looks totally fab! What it is?

That mini board looks very playful, too. I think I could find lots of sounds from every board you have built. Obviously with passion.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Beautiful man. Just beautiful. 

Thank you. I know that the boards (including the number) won't be too everyone's taste and it may look gratuitous, but using pedals are my main hobby and I also enjoy them also as art-like objects. I would likely trade my pedals for more skill on the instrument but life/time constraints that mean I take my bass-related enjoyment disproportionately from pedal-usage.

2 minutes ago, itu said:

Those boards look lovely! Although I have an itch on IE, tce, and Cog, there's one rat and cheese down there, which looks totally fab! What it is?

That mini board looks very playful, too. I think I could find lots of sounds from every board you have built. Obviously with passion.

The mini board weighs a ton but I tried to recreate the pedals on my bottom right board with minis (and the same with Broughton pedals). I've used the Minis board a few times (it may weigh a ton but the big boards weigh a lot more!) with a Broughton Proto DI and the only thing I would consider changing is to introduce a preamp for more EQ control.

Which pedal is it you're trying to identify?

Thank you for the kind comment too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, admiralchew said:

Thank you. I know that the boards (including the number) won't be too everyone's taste and it may look gratuitous, but using pedals are my main hobby

I totally get it. I'm a collector too. I build new boards all the time because I love to do it. 

Mine are messier, generally a bit cheaper, and less painstakingly assembled, but that's just a reflection of my somewhat chaotic personality.

• Like 1

Just now, admiralchew said:

That black one with a rat and five cheese balls. Second row from the bottom, beside the Heliotropic.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I totally get it. I'm a collector too. I build new boards all the time because I love to do it. 

Mine are messier, generally a bit cheaper, and less painstakingly assembled, but that's just a reflection of my somewhat chaotic personality.

I understand that! I find the process of assembly therapeutic (and it's always a relief if it works first time!). I should keep a better eye out for the Basschat meets and bring one or two along.

6 minutes ago, itu said:

That black one with a rat and five cheese balls. Second row from the bottom, beside the Heliotropic.

Ah! Sorry! That's a Nightowl Industries Parabellum v2, a tube-based distortion-type circuit developed with Nick Williams at Dunwich (https://www.nightowl.industries/parabellumdrive).

Edited by admiralchew
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, admiralchew said:

should keep a better eye out for the Basschat meets and bring one or two along.

If you're anywhere near the South West the Bash in October is a wonderful day and I know your boards would be most welcome!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, admiralchew said:

Thank you. I know that the boards (including the number) won't be too everyone's taste and it may look gratuitous, but using pedals are my main hobby and I also enjoy them also as art-like objects. I would likely trade my pedals for more skill on the instrument but life/time constraints that mean I take my bass-related enjoyment disproportionately from pedal-usage.

The mini board weighs a ton but I tried to recreate the pedals on my bottom right board with minis (and the same with Broughton pedals). I've used the Minis board a few times (it may weigh a ton but the big boards weigh a lot more!) with a Broughton Proto DI and the only thing I would consider changing is to introduce a preamp for more EQ control.

Thank you for the kind comment too.

Your boards are so sick i show them to my kids!

I also use your pics to justify buying more pedals  (justify to myself i mean)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, admiralchew said:

They’re all so pretty 😍 

I’m very interested to see which make the cut and which go on sale, I’ll be waiting patiently for sloppy seconds. 

27 minutes ago, stewblack said:

If you're anywhere near the South West the Bash in October is a wonderful day and I know your boards would be most welcome!

I'll keep an eye out and try to figure out the logistics! I've met a few folks on here in person but it would be good to meet more.

20 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Your boards are so sick i show them to my kids!

I also use your pics to justify buying more pedals  (justify to myself i mean)

That's really nice to hear, thanks! Hopefully they're not used as an example of what happens when a person is still dealing with the remnants of 20+ years of obsessive compulsive disorder.

Always happy to oblige with more pedal pictures if it helps get you over the line.

4 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

They’re all so pretty 😍 

I’m very interested to see which make the cut and which go on sale, I’ll be waiting patiently for sloppy seconds. 

Haha, thanks. I've got boxes and packing peanuts galore here. You've got some properly good stuff already though!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, admiralchew said:

That's really nice to hear, thanks! Hopefully they're not used as an example of what happens when a person is still dealing with the remnants of 20+ years of obsessive compulsive disorder.

They would be well used to that. I'm their da!

• Like 1

Just when I thought my board was becoming worthy of posting on this thread @admiralchew blows it out of the water! Impressive boards and cool to see them all together. I'd not thought about pedalboards as a hobby in their own right but it makes sense when you see stuff like this.

Think I might wait a while before I put my meagre efforts out there. 

• Like 2

Just now, Homatron said:

Just when I thought my board was becoming worthy of posting on this thread @admiralchew blows it out of the water! Impressive boards and cool to see them all together. I'd not thought about pedalboards as a hobby in their own right but it makes sense when you see stuff like this.

Think I might wait a while before I put my meagre efforts out there. 

Post it!

Chew is an inspiration!

• Thanks 1

Hi @admiralchew, fantastic boards. Are you using a Rockboard Tres 3.3 for any of them perchance? And if so, do you have the hard case for said board? I’d like to know the depth of the case… and where did you get the 3.3 if indeed you have one. 

Last night's board 

Compress_20240531_212827_7777.thumb.jpg.577bf4078e35c981aeb078707fe1da23.jpg

Least number of pedals ever for me. The volume pedal is because I never managed to properly balance the levels of my C4 patches. The tuner isn't an effect so really I went out with just one pedal.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I'm a real sucker for peer pressure @lidl e!

Current config is below. Highlights include a scrap plywood board from the shed, and an OC2 I got given 25 years ago by a mate who didn't know what to make of it.

All sized to fit in an old flight case I had lying around. One day I'll route out a bit of the underside to fit the power supply underneath...

20240531_213152.jpg

Edited by Homatron
  • Like 6