Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

I decided that after my two-year sabbatical, I would start using pedals again. My old pedal box was a bit of a disaster as the lining wasn't as good as proper velcro, so a car journey on its side and all the pedals would fall off. I decided to go for something a bit smaller but better organised to make me cut down the pedal count (ha!) This Gokko one of Amazon was less than £40 even going for the premium orange coloured version. It has an easily removed base for my PSU and lots of 2" velcro (although I had to add some strips of loop in teh base for the PSU). It even has a matching orange padded bag.

Gokkopedalboard.thumb.jpg.276682a8695f3d4c9f3178f68350eb86.jpg

It's a mix of old school and modern, but a bit sad some of my other pedals didn't make the cut. Pedal order is not obvious, due to what I wanted at the front and practicalities of where leads go:

1 - my homebrew Death Note switcher featuring Ryuk the Shingami. His Shingami eyes light up when a lead is plugged in and the one selected glows even brighter. Unused inputs are grounded via a 22K resistor. Surprisingly complicated to figure out the wiring!

2 - Boss TU3, not just a tuner but a convenient mute switch.

3 - An, err, new addition, the Demonfx Pearl White Autowah. This is a direct clone of the Mad Professor Snow White and it's opened up a huge range of new options. Set the sensitivity low for slap or near 12 o'clock for fingerstyle and you can either get classic autowah sounds (think Fly Away) or increase decay and you can ride it rather like riding the gain for overdrive effects, except it's like a variable tone control.

4 - TC Electronics Forcefield Compressor. OK, it's a Behringer in a bullet-proof box, but it works really well adding harmonic texture without cutting the bottom end as well as keeping my crap slap under some sort of control.

5 - Joyo XVI polyphonic octaver. It does make some incredible sounds, but is definitely best used in moderation. It would be nice to have two or three set up to suit different songs - I hate knob twiddling during a performance.

6 - Ibanez Digital Stereo Chorus. Wowser, apparently these fetch about £150 these days! But you can't have it, with everything dialed in the direction of slow, wide, deep and high it will stand in for anything wanting a general purpose 'effected' sound without having to pack a phaser and a flanger as well.

7 - TC Electronics Mojo Mojo Overdrive. At my first gig using it again I learnt not to set the drive too high, but set right it can add more consistent grit with less finger battering than digging in for a whole song. A test showed it was darker than a tube screamer clone and the HM2 was just too OTT.

8 - My homebrew 'Nano Gumpinator', a 24 db/octave high pass filter with the knee at 32Hz. Takes away all the handling noise and certainly appears to be kind to my speakers.

(Interesting aside, my phone camera recognised the 'Forcefield' as a face and focused on it!)

• Like 7

On 26/09/2024 at 22:10, Elfrasho said:

Thought I'd post this here too since i photo'd it for a different thread on basschat this evening! Can't mind if I've posted it before.

20240926_214924.jpg

20240926_214956.jpg

20240926_215046.jpg

What’s the board and case please? 
Lovely little package! 

Si

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sibob said:

What’s the board and case please? 
Lovely little package! 

Si

The board is a bit of wooden flooring cut down to size, with some anti slip feet stuck to the bottom and the velcro used to attach the pedals!

The case is a portable printer case found in amazon after days of searching! There's so many cases out there for other things than can be repurposed! This one's discontinued it seams.

I waa very specific on the dimensions as this fits perfectly into the pouch of my Protection Racket bass case. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elfrasho said:

The board is a bit of wooden flooring cut down to size, with some anti slip feet stuck to the bottom and the velcro used to attach the pedals!

The case is a portable printer case found in amazon after days of searching! There's so many cases out there for other things than can be repurposed! This one's discontinued it seams.

I waa very specific on the dimensions as this fits perfectly into the pouch of my Protection Racket bass case. 

Nice, love it. I suspected it was a ‘plank’ board and random case, but yes, wanted to check.

Do you remember what dimensions you worked to?

Si

I’ve added a few things, sold a few things and experimented a wee bit and a re-route of one or two things here’s the board. 

The top row is for FOH only so tuner…

preamp (DI out)>compressor>CabIR and is basically a clean signal chain. 

Everything below runs as you’d expect from right to left in order form the
pre-amp>

LBA2020s transformers(hidden underneath)>
comp>

dirt>

fuzz>

EQ>

HPF (hidden underneath)

I think I may still look for a low gain unit but the preamp does have some degree of boost and a nice gain range to keep things lively! I’ve a MarkBass comp which can add in some extra ‘tone’ but I’ll see how this goes for the next few shows. 

The fuzz will go next I think - I’ve been trying out various drive pedals as I think it’s the one thing which I can rotate to taste as the rest of the signal chain is sounding great.

IMG_0304.thumb.jpeg.e75532181249a3b5c1f4b1195833b155.jpeg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, krispn said:

I’ve added a few things, sold a few things and experimented a wee bit and a re-route of one or two things here’s the board. 

The top row is for FOH only so tuner…

preamp (DI out)>compressor>CabIR and is basically a clean signal chain. 

Everything below runs as you’d expect from right to left in order form the
pre-amp>

LBA2020s transformers(hidden underneath)>
comp>

dirt>

fuzz>

EQ>

HPF (hidden underneath)

I think I may still look for a low gain unit but the preamp does have some degree of boost and a nice gain range to keep things lively! I’ve a MarkBass comp which can add in some extra ‘tone’ but I’ll see how this goes for the next few shows. 

The fuzz will go next I think - I’ve been trying out various drive pedals as I think it’s the one thing which I can rotate to taste as the rest of the signal chain is sounding great.

IMG_0304.thumb.jpeg.e75532181249a3b5c1f4b1195833b155.jpeg

that is crying out for the basswitches to be side by side!!

• Like 1

Following on from my previous 'final version' of a pedal board for a rock trio, here's the new 'final version' although there are no guarantees as this has yet to be tested in a live environment. The main change is the removal of the Plethora in favour of individual pedals - no reflection on the Plethora but I find the individual pedals easier to tweak on the go, which is what I will be doing over the next few rehearsals. In comes the compressor, the Mooer Pure Octave, the Nux Univibe and the Joyo Vintage Phase. The centre row provides the core bass tone. The 12 Step is triggering a Korg 05/RW half rack synth module and I have simple string and organ patches set up on that. Signal path is tuner >Octave and across the top, with the Vintage Phase going in to the Bass Clone and across. The H24 feeds into a passive DI box which can connect to an amp or DI to FOH. The electro-acoustic guitar is sounding good with all the pedals off bar the Univibe, which means no need for the guitar pre-amp.  

P1130596.thumb.jpg.81b132b9ec94173e13e54a14c7f6db1f.jpg

• Like 5

Here's the enormous slab of boutique gizmos I'll be schlepping around to my next few gigs...

20240930_124749.thumb.jpg.9e951819572c5fe12e354b91d6577c71.jpg

My band have got a few gigs coming up where space is tight, or the load in/out is horrible.*   With that in mind, I found a cheapo Zoom B3 on FB Marketplace which matches the one on my regular board and scooped up a cheap-but-decent tuner. The Zoom has a tuner, but you have to "long press" the middle switch and who's got time for that?  As my wireless receiver is on my regular board, I've gone with the Lekato WS 70 bug system. The footprint is about the size of a sheet of A4 and everything sits on an offcut of MDF wrapped in black gaffa tape, making it more PedalTram than PedalTrain.

I'll miss the immediacy of being able to scroll through patches quickly which I can do on the modified Zoom B3 on my regular board, but this mini setup fits neatly into my "odds 'n sods" bag. I'll also be using my lovely old, lightweight TC Electronic BG250 combo and leaving my Hercules double instrument stand at home.

* Tight space: Acapela, Pentyrch

Scary load in/out: Theatre on the Steps, Bridgnorth.

They're both lovely venues, but a bit of forward planning is required.

Edited by rushbo
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Just googled that... 😳

Here's our drummer, about a quarter of the way down the steps, on his way to pick up a bit more of his kit. Every time we've played there, it's rained. Apart from the time when it snowed.

WhatsAppImage2023-10-28at21_12.25_f7f655fe.thumb.jpg.fff9bd95a89f7e1b8175873c2e0fb2a5.jpg

It's a fantastic venue and great fun to play, but the load in is ...challenging.

Edited by rushbo

3 minutes ago, Chadu25 said:

Current iteration of my board. Just got the Neptunium from Si. This little thing sounds massive! Perfect pair for my Pbass ❤️

IMG_7224.thumb.jpeg.3038fa3602260aab16e15d7c84513d2e.jpeg

The Wacom looks like the most exciting thing in that pic! 

• Like 1