Why become a member? ×

Have I got a Defective Pre-amp/Pickup?

Umskii

Hmmm... I don't know, but the clips sound alright to me :huh:

However, both rows of polepieces should feel the same. I'm surprised there's a difference because those are alnico pickups, meaning each polepiece is a magnet. If there was a magnet under each row I could understand maybe one magnet detached... but that can't happen here.

I listened to the clips with FLAT and FLAT + BASS/TREBLE, and that sounds pretty much like I'd expect mine to sound like (mine is a 2EQ but the differences are not huge). I don't find that boomy at all. In fact, if you were going to remove low end I'd think it would sound tinny.

Were the other Stingrays tested through the same amp/settings *at the same time* in the same location and also using similar strings? Or at different times?

edit: I listened again, to all 4 clips now. I can't hear anything obviously wrong I'm afraid :blush:

Edited by mcnach

I think that any difference might be down to different strings and set-up, amplified by the distant memory that is 3 months ;)

I really don't hear anything 'wrong' with those clips. Maybe experiment with pickup height, or try other strings... we often ignore the effect strings have. I use stainless steel DR fat Beams on my Stingray and that's a great sound. A great sound that turns into a truly monster sound on my 2003 USA SUB, also a 2EQ, but in this case the pickup is wired in series... and boy that's punchy. It's like taking the other Stingray, turning bass and mids up a bit, and turning the volume up a bit too. Fat.

All that 2EQ vs 3EQ talk... I don't know. I think you can get pretty much the same sounds (within a reasonable margin) from both, but the 2EQ lends itself to a slightly fat smooth and slightly scooped sound (probably because a lot of people just turn the controls up and play it like that :lol:)... The controls are pretty interactive in the 2EQ and you can get a very strong mid-rich tight-bottom type of sound like you could do on the 3EQ... they just have different controls so you get there differently.
I only got a 2EQ because that's the one I came across in the right colour ;) I actually didn't like the preamp too much and ended up installing a John East 3EQ which has a semi-parametric mids control, and I love that. The SUB I got as a backup, and they only made them as 2EQ. This one sounded different from my Stingray (a 2002 model, so not far from each other), and then I found that the pickup was wired in series, which made sense. It seems that the early USA SUBs were wired in series, and later ones in parallel as a Stingray. I owned a 2005 SUB briefly as well, and sounded just like the 2002 Stingray before the preamp swap...

Aaaanyway, sorry I wrote a lot to say not much at all ;)
Briefly: I don't think there's anything *wrong* with your bass... but it can probably be made to sound a bit punchier and closer to what you remember with the right strings and setup. Unless the Stingray you compared to was wired in series ;) in which case that's the reason for the monster sound :P But as far as I know the Stingray was always parallel-wired.

What have you been playing in the 3 months in between?.
Its amazing how another bass, amp or cab can alter our perception of what "bass" sounds like in a very short time.
Like when I used a trace elliot combo for a few months everything sounded very different my basses sounded very different I got used to it then went back to an old amp I had for years I actually thought the amp had broken! It hadnt.
Or if you used rounds for a long time then switch to flatwounds then go back to rounds and after a while and things can sound very different.

Another answer is that even identical basses won't always sound the same. I've had a few p basses (many identical in year and colour even lol) and they all sounded a bit different. Despite me using the same string brand and always having a bass setup exactly the same.

On some basses more than others setup differences can change the way a bass sounds not just pu height but the action will change the tone.

Edited by Twincam