Why become a member? ×

70s Jazz Repro build

Grangur

Wow....the man from Del Monte says 'flipping eck! I'm lucky to be the owner', looks cracking and yes totally love a low action - have you plugged it in and played? Any thoughts on the sound & those 74's ?

Great works, thank you :)

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1470585431' post='3106907']
Wow....the man from Del Monte says 'flipping eck! I'm lucky to be the owner', looks cracking and yes totally love a low action - have you plugged it in and played? Any thoughts on the sound & those 74's ?

Great works, thank you :)
[/quote]
Hey Lee. I'm really SO pleased you like it.

Is the Pope Catholic? I've plugged it in and tested the whole neck for buzzes and the like. Played a few bars, but you're going to be the first to groove on it.

While I've played it a bit. Regrettably I'm no expert on what a '74 is meant to sound like. So I can only leave that to you. The weight is comfortable, the neck is smooth and it feels good. The tuners work well and intonation was easy to set.

It's all packed and ready to go. I hope it ticks all the boxes and lives with you. Thanks, Lee, for letting me be the builder of your bass.

I can certainly confirm Granjur has done a top job on this bass, and at a very affordable price too. Really looking forward to gigging it tonight. The Fender 74's pickups sound great, lovely slap tone. The neck is super smooth and feels wonderful and has kept the old spirit of the 74 I owned up until recently alive. Really looking forward to gigging some funk and soul on it later :)

Thanks Richard, you're a true star and a credit to Basschat :)

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1471035310' post='3110197']
People may shrug this off as lesser luthiery, but making this sort of thing work is a skill in itself.
[/quote]

It certainly is harder than it looks! Having had a go myself, I think it's one of those things that other people do. Like falconry.

Something I didn't tell Lee before sending the bass, was there's a small token of personalisation on the headstock.

Lee, said in another thread, how the bass he sold was one christened by his daughter as "the Family Stone bass", as their family name is Stone. So I took the liberty of customising another well known logo and adding that to the headstock.

Thankfully Lee likes the addition. I was just a little unsure about doing it.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1471281516' post='3111793']
Something I didn't tell Lee before sending the bass, was there's a small token of personalisation on the headstock.

Lee, said in another thread, how the bass he sold was one christened by his daughter as "the Family Stone bass", as their family name is Stone. So I took the liberty of customising another well known logo and adding that to the headstock.

Thankfully Lee likes the addition. I was just a little unsure about doing it.
[/quote]

Love it, that looks great Rich.