Why become a member? ×

old skool stuff .. tales from the dark ages!

Guest aDx

Back in the day, when I was a rockstar! (lol) well in bands that gigged a lot, I would buy a bass bend the neck a bit, lower the action, new strings on... done!

When i changed basses I sold the old one... same with amps and cabs etc

Marshall were king ... and loud and massive stacks of cabs normal! :)

As time went on and my back ached! changed to combos .. (wasnt in a metal band anymore)

In fact I used an OHM 60w combo (15" speaker) !!! mostly pubs but did a few colleges (it was routed thro PA)

nowadays ... 300w + is normal!!! eek! and basses are soooo expensive!!! and folks have so many!

as usual there is still no places to play.... and when bands do play it is to small or no audiences! (see another thread somewhere on here) .. in fact this hasnt changed (we once played to one person!)

But... it is the love of playing,,, this is the thing that drives!

So.. no longer do I have to worry about the manager whining at me ... or roadies being absoilute twats (especially when drunk! lol)

no more relentless rehearsals of the same set of songs.... (poor rolling stones) and no more humping about tons of equipment or sleeping in dodgy B&B's or the back of the lorry!!

I am a free man! I travel light... free to play what the hell I want! woo!

er.... All I need now is a band!! lol lol oh... that means rehearsals! DOH! :)

Some things never change!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1473070626' post='3126499']
Tell me more about bending the neck ...
[/quote]

lol... used to adjust the truss rod... to get lower action ... BUT... had a friend who did it on a black beauty les paul.. and bust neck!

I am talking 70's .. I sold many P basses for £200... !!

I picked up my 2 marshall 100w valve heads and 4 18" cabs + 2 4x12 cabs for £150!!!!

We used to make speaker cabs from chipboard... went to Ipswich to get Celestion speakers...

A guy in the band made 20 4x12 cabs..... God knows why! something to do with a PA I think. Couldnt move in his house! lol lol

...bought a 100watt Marshall plexi for 100 quid at a second-hand shop in Fulham (!) - used it for a couple of years and went over to Orange Matamps......chipboard cabs screwed & glued (Resin W) - speakers from Celestion at Thames Ditton, 3 cell horns (with socks stuffed in two of the cells) from Vitavox (Queensbury).....and a glorious noise it all made .............

:)