Why become a member? ×

DR strings too long for an EBMM Sterling?

darkandrew

I've just put a set of DR Silver Stars (coated Sunbeams) on a Sterling and the wind on the E is a little too long so that the thickest part of the string is wrapping around the tuner. (A little research on the Net shows that DR strings are 3/4 inch longer from ball to taper than Ernie Ball strings). Is this going to be a problem?

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1473804541' post='3133342']
Not a problem anymore ... I couldn't get the D string to grip the tuning post (coated strings too slippery?) and so put on a set of D'Addario EXLs that I had in my box instead.
[/quote]

How do you fit the strings? I put them through the hole, then bend them sharp as they exit the slot, effectively anchoring them. A couple of turns is all I need.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1473969748' post='3134652']
How do you fit the strings? I put them through the hole, then bend them sharp as they exit the slot, effectively anchoring them. A couple of turns is all I need.
[/quote]
That's about how I did it. Ernie Ball and D'Addario strings all seem to grip OK but I can't get the DR coated strings to stay on without slipping - I can only assume that the coating is too slippery and stops them gripping the tuning post. It's strange, I've always used these strings (with my Warwick and when I had an Aria SB1000) and this is the first time I've had this problem.

I've also now swapped the D'Addario XLs for an Ernie Ball hybrid slinky set - to be honest I found the D'Addario XLs to be too polite and wanted something with a bit of rawness. I haven't used Ernie Balls for years but from what I remember, they used to die quite quickly - are they still like that?

Edited by darkandrew