Why become a member? ×

Sending a package abroad?

obbm

If you are sending something abroad and contemplating using the Royal Mail International Track and Sign service be warned.

Advertised Specification from the Royal Mail website.

[quote][i]Tracked & Signed is a combination service offering [/i][i][b]full end-to-end tracking[/b][/i][i], [/i][i][b]signature on delivery[/b][/i][i] and an [/i][i][b]online delivery confirmation[/b][/i][/quote]

The response when a package gets lost is

[quote]Items sent via our International Signed service are tracked up to the point where they leave the UK. Once they have left the UK, our Track & Trace system will just show that the items have been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery. These items are signed for by the recipient (not necessarily the addressee)but we cannot supply a copy of the signature.
[/quote]

Surely this must contavene trading standards or some other legislation.

Yesterday I sent a 'Large Letter' to California USA using the International Tracked and Signed for service at £9.25 - so far - info from the website is encouraging:

Date Time Status Track point 21/09/16 AM ON ITS WAY TOSAN FRANCISCO UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 21/09/16 01:06 ARRIVED (MDN) AT HEATHROW WORLDWIDE DC 20/09/16 20:10 ON ITS WAY TOHEATHROW WORLDWIDE DC GATWICK MAIL CENTRE 20/09/16 19:51 ITEM COLLECTED GATWICK MAIL CENTRE 20/09/16 15:47 SENT AT POST OFFICE
64 Ninfield Road TN39 5BB

I'll let you know what happens!

Edit: Sorry the info gets jumbled up it seems, it looks nicely tabulated until I press send :(

Edited by KiOgon