Why become a member? ×

bass wheel and endpin problem

teej

I carry my bass about a lot and so I really want to get a bass wheel, but when I looked at the endpin to check the diameter I found that the pin won't fully remove. I've pulled it out about 9 inches and it's stuck. Don't really want to use any more force than I've tried so far. Anyone else come across this? Presumably I can remove the endpin unit from the bass and check what's going on, maybe saw off whatever's obstructing the pin? By the way the bass is a '69 excelsior (boosey and hawkes).
Cheers, Teej

Guest subaudio

[quote name='teej' post='302199' date='Oct 8 2008, 02:25 PM']I carry my bass about a lot and so I really want to get a bass wheel, but when I looked at the endpin to check the diameter I found that the pin won't fully remove. I've pulled it out about 9 inches and it's stuck. Don't really want to use any more force than I've tried so far. Anyone else come across this? Presumably I can remove the endpin unit from the bass and check what's going on, maybe saw off whatever's obstructing the pin? By the way the bass is a '69 excelsior (boosey and hawkes).
Cheers, Teej[/quote]

Hi Teej

I had this same problem, what I did was, extend the endpin as far out as it goes and saw it off at the bass end with a hacksaw, then push the bit still in the bass right inside the bass untill it falls into the bass itself, then insert a magnet tied to a piece of string through the f hole and retrieve the stubby end of the end pin throught the f hole.

This should take about 5 minutes all told. if your end pin is now too short you may need to buy a new one but they are not expensive, if you can only find an end pin with the mahogony bit still atached ask a key cutter to grind the end tabs off so you can remove the end pin, that's what I do anyway.

Hope this helps

Hi Subaudio,

thanks, I had thought about that approach, but hadn't come up with the magnet on a string idea. Nice one, I know 2 small boys who will be well up for helping out with that.

I'm 5' 2" and have never extended the pin at all on this bass, so no problem there!

Thanks again,
Teej

Guest subaudio

[quote name='teej' post='302298' date='Oct 8 2008, 04:02 PM']Hi Subaudio,

thanks, I had thought about that approach, but hadn't come up with the magnet on a string idea. Nice one, I know 2 small boys who will be well up for helping out with that.

I'm 5' 2" and have never extended the pin at all on this bass, so no problem there!

Thanks again,
Teej[/quote]

Hey Teej

Your very welcome :) I used an old hifi speaker magnet and put it in a small plastic bag as tying the string around was a bit tricky

Edited by subaudio

Damn! Looks like the shaft of my endpin is 8mm and the one on the wheel I was looking at is 10mm. I haven't found any 8mm shafted wheels (is that english?) on the web available here in the uk. Anyone know better? I see there are a couple available from Bob Gollihur, so maybe that's the way to go. Don't really want to buy a whole new endpin unit.

Guest subaudio

[quote name='teej' post='306237' date='Oct 14 2008, 01:59 PM']Damn! Looks like the shaft of my endpin is 8mm and the one on the wheel I was looking at is 10mm. I haven't found any 8mm shafted wheels (is that english?) on the web available here in the uk. Anyone know better? I see there are a couple available from Bob Gollihur, so maybe that's the way to go. Don't really want to buy a whole new endpin unit.[/quote]

Hi Teej

Good fun this double bass lark isn't it :)

I had a new endpin fitted to my bass for £50 if you cant find an 8mm wheel but that plus a wheel atarts to add up, I think Bob's site will be your best bet, I havent really found anyone that stocks 8mm here, I have heard very good things from people who have used his site, not sure what happens with customs and such though.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have found a wheel in the uk with an 8mm shaft: [url="http://www.vivaceviolin.com/pp/Accessories/Bass/433021.html"]here[/url]. Don't know how I missed it earlier, I certainly looked on that site. However, it's not exactly what I was looking for - I prefer the look/sound of the solid Scott Lightweight wheel (although this one's a lot cheaper). Anybody got any experience or insight into the pneumatic v solid issues?

It'd be nice if they gave more detailed dimensions - I have a wheel identical to [url="http://www.vivaceviolin.com/pp/Accessories/Bass/BassWheel10mmInflatable.html"]this one[/url]. It's huge! It makes it very hard to get through doorways, into the lift to my flat or onto trains. I've seen other bassists with smaller wheels (inflatable or solid), which look more practical. It's another thing to carry around when it's off the bass, also. So check the diameter of the wheel before ordering.
If you're happy to order from Germany (should be free from import duty), there is also [url="http://jazz.bassico.eu/128/302?l=en"]this one[/url], with 8mm shaft and inflatable tyre.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' post='314956' date='Oct 26 2008, 11:04 AM']It'd be nice if they gave more detailed dimensions - I have a wheel identical to [url="http://www.vivaceviolin.com/pp/Accessories/Bass/BassWheel10mmInflatable.html"]this one[/url]. It's huge! It makes it very hard to get through doorways, into the lift to my flat or onto trains. I've seen other bassists with smaller wheels (inflatable or solid), which look more practical. It's another thing to carry around when it's off the bass, also. So check the diameter of the wheel before ordering.
If you're happy to order from Germany (should be free from import duty), there is also [url="http://jazz.bassico.eu/128/302?l=en"]this one[/url], with 8mm shaft and inflatable tyre.[/quote]
Thanks, that's the kind of thing I was concerned about, I've already emailed them asking about the diameter.

Got a reply today from Bridgewood & Neitzert Limited, who are the folk behind the www.vivaceviolin.com site that I linked above, and their 8mm shafted wheel is 19cm in diameter, and .68kg.

Larger than I'd hoped, but not as large as I feared. About 1lb in weight if I convert that correctly, which is probably not too bad either. I think I might go for this one, but I think maybe I'll check that german one as well.

• 6 months later...

[quote name='teej' post='315718' date='Oct 27 2008, 01:36 PM']Got a reply today from Bridgewood & Neitzert Limited, who are the folk behind the www.vivaceviolin.com site that I linked above, and their 8mm shafted wheel is 19cm in diameter, and .68kg.[/quote]

Finally got round to ordering this wheel. Arrived very quickly by First Class Royal Mail (less than 24 hours!).

I did the sawing the end off and pushing obstruction back into the body of the bass thing, and then Josh my 9-year old fetched the metal stub back out again through the f-hole with one of those telescopic pen-type magnets, while I shone a torch in. He got it first go, took seconds.

I tried it out last week on a very local gig (10 minute walk), and experienced the problem I was expecting - the round shaft will twist around no matter how tight you fasten it. So a couple of minutes filing a flat face on one side and it functions perfectly. Took it for a longer trip down Brighton way by train last night to record a track for The Ukes of Hazzard - smooth ride, steers easy. Had to remove the wheel to get on the train, but that's no big deal.

Very pleased! :)

[quote name='teej' post='485710' date='May 12 2009, 10:42 AM']Finally got round to ordering this wheel. Arrived very quickly by First Class Royal Mail (less than 24 hours!).

I did the sawing the end off and pushing obstruction back into the body of the bass thing, and then Josh my 9-year old fetched the metal stub back out again through the f-hole with one of those telescopic pen-type magnets, while I shone a torch in. He got it first go, took seconds.

I tried it out last week on a very local gig (10 minute walk), and experienced the problem I was expecting - the round shaft will twist around no matter how tight you fasten it. So a couple of minutes filing a flat face on one side and it functions perfectly. Took it for a longer trip down Brighton way by train last night to record a track for The Ukes of Hazzard - smooth ride, steers easy. Had to remove the wheel to get on the train, but that's no big deal.

Very pleased! :)[/quote]
Nice result there.

I wonder if it's worth sending a suggestion to the folks you bought it from to tell them about the flat spot needed on the shaft. They may incorporate that into future production.

[quote name='TPJ' post='485785' date='May 12 2009, 11:53 AM']Nice result there.

I wonder if it's worth sending a suggestion to the folks you bought it from to tell them about the flat spot needed on the shaft. They may incorporate that into future production.[/quote]

OK then - done that :)

[quote name='teej' post='487545' date='May 14 2009, 08:38 AM']OK then - done that :)[/quote]
Hi Teej,
Many thanks for your purchase of the bass wheel. We usually have all our bass wheels put through our workshops here and have a flat files onto the main shaft - so apologies not sure how yours slipped through. Remind me next time you want to buy something or if you wish to bring your bass in for repair/adjustment and I'll offer some discount as an apology for not filing that flat!
We are soon to be stocking the Gaines bass wheel as well.

All the best and thanks for keeping me posted.

Gary Bridgewood

[quote name='Bridgewood & Neitzert' post='487641' date='May 14 2009, 10:24 AM']Hi Teej,
Many thanks for your purchase of the bass wheel. We usually have all our bass wheels put through our workshops here and have a flat files onto the main shaft - so apologies not sure how yours slipped through. Remind me next time you want to buy something or if you wish to bring your bass in for repair/adjustment and I'll offer some discount as an apology for not filing that flat!
We are soon to be stocking the Gaines bass wheel as well.

All the best and thanks for keeping me posted.

Gary Bridgewood[/quote]

Ha ha - I was just going to reproduce this message (which Gary emailed to me), to continue the thread. I see he beat me to it!

An excellent example of how to turn a problem into a success. Well done Gary, top man! :)

• 3 months later...

Hmmm.... Well, bass wheel broke on Tuesday after a little over 3 months use. :)

It was probably doing 2-3 miles in a quiet week and double that in a busy one. There have been more busy weeks than quiet ones though, so the average would be high. I'm not sure if that's unreasonable or not for these wheels, but Bridgewood and Neitzert (who I have returned it to) agreed that the wheel should perform better.

B&N sent me a new wheel in 24 hours ready for the weekend, but I've paid for it and am waiting to hear from them after they've tackled the manufacturers.

Just to clarify: this is an 8mm shafted version of the £34 wheel [url="http://www.vivaceviolin.com/pp/Accessories/Bass/433021.html"]shown here[/url].

I have an identical bass ... it's beautiful, one of the warmest, easiest playing, nicest basses I've ever owned (of about a dozen so far, including two vintage Kays). Mine's been refinished in blonde, sweet. Yours in original fiish? I've never seen one in decent conditon, what's it look like?

But I've no idea of the exact year. Where did you get that from or is it an educated guess ... certainly late 60's is closest I can get, and I spoke to the Czech woman who was in charge of exports to B+H in the 60s!!
FYI I reckon it was made at the factory which is now Strunal.

Anyway. Sounds like you're struggling on with the wheels...
First advice would've been to lie bass flat, loosen strings, pop bridge down, hook tailpiece off end pin, whip out end pin assembly, file or cut retaining lugs off end pin, put back together... but you've sorted that one.

Next tip - 8mm pins are pretty poor usually. Thomann stock a pretty affordable, cork-lined 10mm end-pin assembly ..though you'll have to pay someone to fit it, or risk some woodwork fitting it into your end block. But in the long run they're much more solid, no rattles, no bending... but cash. That's double bass eh?

[quote name='PaulKing' post='579192' date='Aug 24 2009, 03:57 PM']I have an identical bass ... it's beautiful, one of the warmest, easiest playing, nicest basses I've ever owned (of about a dozen so far, including two vintage Kays). Mine's been refinished in blonde, sweet. Yours in original fiish? I've never seen one in decent conditon, what's it look like?

But I've no idea of the exact year. Where did you get that from or is it an educated guess ... certainly late 60's is closest I can get, and I spoke to the Czech woman who was in charge of exports to B+H in the 60s!!
FYI I reckon it was made at the factory which is now Strunal.

Anyway. Sounds like you're struggling on with the wheels...
First advice would've been to lie bass flat, loosen strings, pop bridge down, hook tailpiece off end pin, whip out end pin assembly, file or cut retaining lugs off end pin, put back together... but you've sorted that one.

Next tip - 8mm pins are pretty poor usually. Thomann stock a pretty affordable, cork-lined 10mm end-pin assembly ..though you'll have to pay someone to fit it, or risk some woodwork fitting it into your end block. But in the long run they're much more solid, no rattles, no bending... but cash. That's double bass eh?[/quote]
I stripped mine myself, the varnish just fell off it almost from the moment I first took it out and gigged it, and after 4-5 years it was looking shamefully tatty (you can read about that and see some pics on my [url="http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=96193816&blogId=246561590"]myspace blog[/url]). I'd always wanted a blonde bass, so I finished it with 7-8 layers of shellac instead of french polishing or similar. It's not got any structural problems but it's far from 'decent condition' - it's a well-used hard-worked bass that sees action in the street regularly, all year round.

'69 is when the original owner bought it, brand new. I had read about the Strunal connection, on here probably.

Yes, I figured that in the long run replacing the whole end-pin unit would be the way to go. Maybe in October/November between the craziness of summer bookings and the madness of Christmas - when I send it off for another little job I want done: 8 ebony feet on the sides to lift the edges off the ground when it's at rest.