Why become a member? ×

String gauges for c# tuning?

winterfire666

[quote name='D'AddarioUK' timestamp='1475761308' post='3148547']
That is odd indeed, I'll get onto our colleagues in the US about them being missing from the site. I can however happily confirm that they exist.

The codes are:
PSB125
PSB100
PSB080
PSB055
or
PSB120
PSB095
PSB075
PSB050

All available through Strings Direct as far as I can see.
[/quote]

Ah brilliant, I'll have a look through Strings Direct. Thanks :)

I'm thinking it may be cheaper to mess around with a 5 string set and replace where required but I need to work it out first!

I feel bad pretty much echoing Dood's recommendation of the D'addario Balanced Tension 120 - 50 set for about the fifth time! I have used the strings for D standard/drop C, C# Standard/Drop B and even C standard/drop B flat. Personally I think that the strings are most suited to C# tuning. If we are talking D# standard/drop C#, I can make do with a standard 105-45 set.

It is all down to personal preference though. I have seen lots of bassists using standard 45-105 sets for that tuning with no problem whatsoever. I just like the big 120 string!

Personally yes, I prefer a stainless steel string to a nickel, but with the massive difference in price when it comes to buying single strings, I'm happy to buy the balanced tension nickel set at £18 or so. If D'addario made a Prosteel 120-50 set I would buy them.

They are fantastic value for money and in my opinion are far better suited to the lower tunings than more expensive sets apparently optimised for lower tunings (DR DDT and the Dunlop equivalent). Again, that is just my personal opinion.

I know that a lot of fellow Basschat folk will recommend Newtone strings as well as they are able to make you a custom set to match your tunings. I did this once but ended up going back to the D'addario set again as I thought they offered better value for money.

Edited by thodrik

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1475778834' post='3148750']
Personally yes, I prefer a stainless steel string to a nickel, but with the massive difference in price when it comes to buying single strings, I'm happy to buy the balanced tension nickel set at £18 or so. If D'addario made a Prosteel 120-50 set I would buy them.

They are fantastic value for money and in my opinion are far better suited to the lower tunings than more expensive sets apparently optimised for lower tunings (DR DDT and the Dunlop equivalent). Again, that is just my personal opinion.
[/quote]
+1