Why become a member? ×

Sorry, how much for a Sadowsky Metro.?

bubinga5

Just spotted this, jeez...nearly 3 grand for a Sadowsky Metro. These are suppose to be the affordable line. Seems there missing point over at Sadowsky. I remember ordering one a few years ago, An brand new Rv5 direct from Sadowsky and i paid £1700. http://m.thomann.de/gb/sadowsky_metro_modern_m5_24_tbu.htm?gclid=CL6V58upzc8CFRdmGwod8_EKrQ

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=14121216440716

It's just Thomann.

The pricing is fine.

My MV5 was just under 2k a few months back. Prices have gone up since then but the pound is weaker now. It's not just Sadowsky that will cost more.
The Metro obviously isn't the 'affordable' line, it's the less expensive, as is, no custom options line.

Edited by M@23

The Metro is made in Japan, where the cost of living and labour is incredibly expensive. My Metro is as good as any NYC that I've tried, the only thing it doesn't have that I wish it did was a chambered body. In every other respect it compares very well.

(I do also own an NYC S-type guitar. The two are both fantastic)

I've recently seen a Musicman Caprice (a 4 string passive bass) for £1900. £1900!!!! I know this is insanely high as I've been following or EBMM gear for years. Initial RRP (shops can discount this) was £1650. 6 months or so back.

I am well and truly out of the new bass / guitar / amp / cab game until the prices sort themselves out. I am certain most sane people will be doing the same. Brexit has ruined the market IMO.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1476022392' post='3150482']
I've recently seen a Musicman Caprice (a 4 string passive bass) for £1900. £1900!!!! I know this is insanely high as I've been following or EBMM gear for years. Initial RRP (shops can discount this) was £1650. 6 months or so back.

I am well and truly out of the new bass / guitar / amp / cab game until the prices sort themselves out. I am certain most sane people will be doing the same. Brexit has ruined the market IMO.
[/quote]

The pound was worth $1.27 last week - 10 yrs ago it was $2.00. Similar issue with the Euro now.

In respect of the new Musicman Cutlass and Caprice, these basses have been receiving rave reviews in the US and described as quality on a par with boutique manufacturers and Fender CS - this doesn't surprise me at all and in that context, would be worth that price, particularly in the context of the Sadowski Metro mentioned.

I'm surprised that this is such a shock to people, the collapse of the pound was one of the main things almost everyone predicted would be a direct result of brexit. I think the relatively mild price increase in these products is just the beginning.

But hey, look on the bright side, now we've got control back, who needs all those rubbish high quality products from Europe and the US anyway? I for one can't wait for the influx of high quality musical instruments from the 'global market', we all know the best basses are made in China, Africa and India. It's going to be great.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1476035710' post='3150687']
If I had £3k ear marked for a bass it wouldn't be going anywhere near a Metro.

Yes, we need a revote, so we can have nice cheap basses :rolleyes: what were people thinking..!!!
[/quote] me neither. My 3k would be looking to Sei or Shuker, way more bass for your money.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1476035710' post='3150687']
If I had £3k ear marked for a bass it wouldn't be going anywhere near a Metro.

Yes, we need a revote, so we can have nice cheap basses :rolleyes: what were people thinking..!!!
[/quote]

So we shouldn't worry about the british pound self-destructing? The price of instruments made abroad are just a small indication of a bigger picture surely. Or maybe I have it wrong and it's all fine.

Also going by that logic, why even spend money on a US Fender or MusicMan? Clearly nobody likes those. Meanwhile thank goodness all manufacturing can now take place in the UK and we will never need to buy anything from abroad again. Looking forward to the british wood, strings and electronics on all those Shukers and Sei's everyone will be playing from now on. (Except the maker of Sei is actually from Europe, so if you're proper british surely you won't be getting involved in any of that).

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1476041426' post='3150772']
one word: Brexit

morons
[/quote]

I so agree with this.

I've lost count of the number of customers bemoaning the price increases on imported instruments and amplification since the £ started plummeting post Brexit vote.

It's quite common for people to try and blame us, as a retailer, for price increases.

One potential customer last week wanted us to sell below cost simply because prices have risen so much recently!

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1476048411' post='3150881']
Not to mention European manufacturers prices will also go up drastically soon, so if you're a fan of say.. i don't know... Marusczyk, anyone? Expect a big hike in his prices once you start paying import duty on stuff from the continent.
[/quote]

No need for blasphemy.

I agree. Sandberg prices have increased quite dramatically already.

Edited by M@23

Unfortunately I think a lot of people forgot that for Brexit to work we have to buy more British goods. The good thing is that for bass guitars we have some first class manufacturers/luthiers in this country, just think of the ones on this site.

Unless they're using a lot of imported parts...ABM's prices are bad enough in doubling within two years from 20 quid to forty five for a headless tuner (yes, ONE tuner). Goodness knows what impact Brexit is going to have. Chinese prices will no doubt fill the gap where products can be produced without too much professional judgement and retailers will start championing the value and credibility of Chinese made goods on discovering that the alternative is not selling anything because the majority of customers can no longer afford the alternatives.

Or...someone will take the plunge and invest in a UK based 3D printing bureau capable of mass producing bass parts...

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1476082632' post='3150980']
Unless they're using a lot of imported parts...ABM's prices are bad enough in doubling within two years from 20 quid to forty five for a headless tuner (yes, ONE tuner). Goodness knows what impact Brexit is going to have. Chinese prices will no doubt fill the gap where products can be produced without too much professional judgement and retailers will start championing the value and credibility of Chinese made goods on discovering that the alternative is not selling anything because the majority of customers can no longer afford the alternatives.

Or...someone will take the plunge and invest in a UK based 3D printing bureau capable of mass producing bass parts...
[/quote]

Exactly! I just don't get how people can't see this, but it says an awful lot about why we're in the mess we're in. Either British builders will have to raise their prices if they keep using what we consider quality parts - USA pickups and hardware for example - OR they will need to start using cheap Chinese copies which we all know are sh!te. British manufacturing isn't exactly cheap at the moment is it? If a builder has any pride in what they do, their prices will go up by just as much in terms of percentages as any other imported thing. Or maybe you will either end up with a boutique 'all british' design which relies 100% on british manufacturing but is totally unaffordable, probably even more so than an import.

As for 3D printing - the technology is not ready for that yet. It's good for making a prototype to test your design, but 3D printed instruments are still at novelty stage at best.

No reason why the £ has dived...unless you trade in currency, of course. these people don't much care what the excuse is, just that they can get away with redistribution of 'wealth' which they make a killing on..
This thing called 'confidence'...........hmmm.

But sure, back OT, £3k for a Metro is silly, just as £3k on CS is a con.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1476085482' post='3151006'] Exactly! I just don't get how people can't see this, but it says an awful lot about why we're in the mess we're in. Either British builders will have to raise their prices if they keep using what we consider quality parts - USA pickups and hardware for example - OR they will need to start using cheap Chinese copies which we all know are sh!te. British manufacturing isn't exactly cheap at the moment is it? If a builder has any pride in what they do, their prices will go up by just as much in terms of percentages as any other imported thing. Or maybe you will either end up with a boutique 'all british' design which relies 100% on british manufacturing but is totally unaffordable, probably even more so than an import. As for 3D printing - the technology is not ready for that yet. It's good for making a prototype to test your design, but 3D printed instruments are still at novelty stage at best. [/quote]

Well, most UK bass builders are, AFAIA, towards the top end of the market, in which case I imaging the cost of the parts is a relatively small part of the cost (labour being the largest part).
So price rises for the whole instrument should be considerably less than the change in the exchange rate, unless people cry 'Brexit' and put their total price up by the exchange rate change!
Also the exchange rate changes will make British manufactured parts cheaper to source so,,[i] in the longer term,[/i] once things adjust, you might find bass parts being manufactured here in the UK, and even exporting abroad. I work in machine tools and we can already see increased interest in our products from abroad.

Don't want to get into the politics of Brexit here, just saying that a low currency value can work both ways.

Also, some Chinese stuff is sh*te, but a lot of it isn't.

Edited by Count Bassy

Exchange rates are always moving up and down. In my working life I've seen the dollar/pound swing between almost $1 =£1 up to $2.4 = £1 and back. Just because the rate is bad today doesn't mean it will stay there.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1476104801' post='3151291']
Exchange rates are always moving up and down. In my working life I've seen the dollar/pound swing between almost $1 =£1 up to $2.4 = £1 and back. Just because the rate is bad today doesn't mean it will stay there.
[/quote]

That's true for times when things are relatively steady, not so much when there is major change or turmoil. But i genuinely hope you're right, and not just for the sake of affordable basses. (food, employment, education and housing would be closer the top of the list, but the price of instruments is just a part of a bigger picture)..

If anyone is planning on buying something made in the US, then they maybe better do it soon. According to what I was reading a couple of days ago, the pound is expected to continue falling, they're even saying it could reach parity with the dollar. It'll certainly be parity with the euro sooner or later.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1476100783' post='3151218']

Well, most UK bass builders are, AFAIA, towards the top end of the market, in which case I imaging the cost of the parts is a relatively small part of the cost (labour being the largest part).
So price rises for the whole instrument should be considerably less than the change in the exchange rate, unless people cry 'Brexit' and put their total price up by the exchange rate change!
Also the exchange rate changes will make British manufactured parts cheaper to source so,,[i] in the longer term,[/i] once things adjust, you might find bass parts being manufactured here in the UK, and even exporting abroad. I work in machine tools and we can already see increased interest in our products from abroad.

Don't want to get into the politics of Brexit here, just saying that a low currency value can work both ways.

Also, some Chinese stuff is sh*te, but a lot of it isn't.
[/quote]

As long as the materials that the parts are made from aren't imported.