Why become a member? ×

SR500 Fragile finish

Guest MoJo

I quite fancy an Ibanez SR500 (although I am tempted by Grangur's SR740), but the finish on most used SR500's seems to wear off really easily. Can the finish be removed and the body refinished? Has anyone attempted this?

Yup, I did this on one a couple of years ago. Not hard to do - one advantage of the original finish is that it's relatively easy to remove when you want to :unsure: :)

I refinished mine in Tru-Oil - another relatively fragile finish, but one that can easily be refinished again...

Upside was the dark brown which I didn't like much is just a stain, and the body underneath was a much nicer, lighter colour, tho not a ton of grain.

Certainly have. I've had a couple of Ibby SRs previously & had GAS for another, so picked up a very cheap beater SR500, which looked like this:

The old finish came off very easily. It's soft mahogany underneath & it was a good opportunity to practice steaming out the numerous dents & gouges in the wood - which went surprisingly well. This was my first go at an oil refin and I'm made up with the result:

This was done with Colron natural Danish Oil, applied with a microfibre cloth. Lost count of the coats, but 20+, with a final sand back with very fine paper before the final coat.

The finished bass looks so much better than with the original brown slop, and it's far more hard-wearing.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1476441087' post='3154305']
Certainly have. I've had a couple of Ibby SRs previously & had GAS for another, so picked up a very cheap beater SR500, which looked like this:

The old finish came off very easily. It's soft mahogany underneath & it was a good opportunity to practice steaming out the numerous dents & gouges in the wood - which went surprisingly well. This was my first go at an oil refin and I'm made up with the result:

This was done with Colron natural Danish Oil, applied with a microfibre cloth. Lost count of the coats, but 20+, with a final sand back with very fine paper before the final coat.

The finished bass looks so much better than with the original brown slop, and it's far more hard-wearing.
[/quote]

Nice work ;)

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1476441087' post='3154305']

[/quote]

Ha! Brown slop. :lol:

Seeing Jon's SR there, who would ever want the brown one?

I think I'd have gone for a satin or matt finish, but hey! It's looking great.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1476437413' post='3154247']
I quite fancy an Ibanez SR500 (although I am tempted by Grangur's SR740), but the finish on most used SR500's seems to wear off really easily. Can the finish be removed and the body refinished? Has anyone attempted this?
[/quote]
Have another sneaky peak..

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1476437413' post='3154247']
[/quote]

Go for Grangurs 740. That bass blows any SR500 out of the water. I had a 500 and while I liked it, these older MIJ Ibanez basses are the real deal (have two MIJ Prestiges myself)

[quote name='Paulhauser' timestamp='1476453169' post='3154473']
Go for Grangurs 740. That bass blows any SR500 out of the water. I had a 500 and while I liked it, these older MIJ Ibanez basses are the real deal (have two MIJ Prestiges myself)
[/quote]

Actually I'd probably agree - my previous SRs were fretted & fretless MIJ SR800s, early 90s Fujigen builds, and both gorgeous, immaculately put-together basses. I'm more of a fan of the P/J setup than the Barts in the 500.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1476450179' post='3154430']
Seeing Jon's SR there, who would ever want the brown one?

I think I'd have gone for a satin or matt finish, but hey! It's looking great.[/quote]

I had no idea it would turn out so shiny - the tin describes it as satin so that's what I expected. Very happy though, I like shiny things!

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1476472298' post='3154708']
Actually I'd probably agree - my previous SRs were fretted & fretless MIJ SR800s, early 90s Fujigen builds, and both gorgeous, immaculately put-together basses. I'm more of a fan of the P/J setup than the Barts in the 500.
[/quote]

I had a MIJ SR400. I couldn't fault it in terms of build quality, but I found the DXP and DXJ pickups lacking definition and the pre-amp less than musical.

Oddly I've always liked the sr500 fragile finish. When they get a bit of wear on them I think it looks good although maybe the wood underneath is a little too light a colour. But Certainly better than fake relicing etc imo.
As already said they can be very easily stripped and oiled or even painted if you don't like it.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1476480805' post='3154764']
Well, there's a little bit of wear - and then there's this:

[url="http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/LanterneRouge/media/Ibanez%20SR500/sr500original02_zpsww0scrli.jpg.html"][/url]

Think I did the right thing...
[/quote]

I actually rather like that. A used instrument so to say. I would of probably refinished too but it does have a certain charm.