Why become a member? ×

5 strings - 35" scale - the downside...

vmaxblues

So, having made the move to 5 strings and now owning 2 no.35" scale 5 stringers, and loving the change, however I have just come down with a really painful elbow, just like tennis elbow.

Only just made the connection, I think it is me practising a lot with my new 5 stringers, what do you guys reckon?

And, what can I do about it?

Cheers

Stuart

I wouldn't have thought an inch would make much difference.

I tend to do 99% of my playing from the 5th fret upwards. Low F I'd play at the 6th fret B string, F# 7th fret etc. I find that way more comfortable than playing the same notes on a 4 string.

Edited by ambient

I am using the B string sparingly, but I do tend to like the E on the B string.

It's a muscle memory thing for me, and finally the 5's are feeling a bit more familiar now. Odd how key things have helped, simple things like....A is the middle string, sounds obvious but strangely helped.

The two fives I have are wider string spacing which is what has made it possible for me to transition, but this has obviously had an impact on the shapes my left hand is getting used to.

But I take your point, I may be over thinking it, and standing awkwardly. An observer at a recent gig said to me afterwards, 'are you alright, you didn't look your normal self?' I had put this down to me concentrating on not making a mistake with the stringing, but it may have been I was somehow standing awkwardly.

Those low notes are a bug for the rotator cuff when going for agressive low slides even on a 34"
I would think it quite possible to aggravate something.

I need my strap button over the 12th fret but even so those low note stretches show up a tweak easily.

I went through a period of this earlier this year, could be action and string tension, but i bet it is something else - how much computer use have you had recently - unsupported mouse work etc. I realised it was this that caused me a problem then everything else inc (bass playing) is affected and aggravates the condition. Recheck posture in all areas of home and work and play. rest if possible. It will sort itself. This may well be in the back and shoulder transferred to the elbow.
So basically i think ambient is prob on the right track for you.

[quote name='vmaxblues' timestamp='1476703456' post='3156382']
So, having made the move to 5 strings and now owning 2 no.35" scale 5 stringers, and loving the change, however I have just come down with a really painful elbow, just like tennis elbow.

Only just made the connection, I think it is me practising a lot with my new 5 stringers, what do you guys reckon?

Cheers

Stuart
[/quote]

Not sure that the 35" scale has anything to do with it, it's such a small change. When I got my Lakland 55-02 I didn't even notice it was a 35" scale bass. It was the most comfy 5-string bass I ever played.

Have you checked your position when playing? Has anything changed compared to what you were doing before?

Left arm or right arm? Whichever, it is probably due to a slightly changed playing position. I have done the same, right arm, changing from 34" to 30" bass. Do you want the bad news? You need to be really careful with the arm and elbow now. I got to the point where I could not lift pans, cases, mow lawn etc. Take real care now otherwise the injury can take forever (months or even a year) to fix.

Edited by 3below

I think it all depends on the individual player regarding scale length. Despite being "only one inch" I had eventually got rid of every 35" scale bass I'd ever owned (I can remember 6) and gone back to 34" as they were so much easier to play no matter how many strings.

Although, there's a lot of truth in what Happy Jack says about how the neck sits on the body.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1476864068' post='3157798']
Although, there's a lot of truth in what Happy Jack says about how the neck sits on the body.
[/quote]

in my experience this is the one thing that really mattered...
I've played 34" basses that were remarkably uncomfortable (some Warwick, and a Tanglewood I once had that sounded amazing but copied a Warwick design, like a Corvette with a shorter long horn, much shorter... and the 1st fret felt like it was in another postcode). Since then, any 'new' shape I look at, the position of the top horn is the first thing I look at.
A 35" Lakland 55-02 did not feel any different from my Stingray, scalewise.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1476878236' post='3157984']
Bit off topic, but I got my hands on a 36", 6 stringer my Luthier was building for someone. Was way too much of a bass for me :)
[/quote]

I'd look like a pixie playing one of those :lol:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1476871247' post='3157895']

in my experience this is the one thing that really mattered...
I've played 34" basses that were remarkably uncomfortable (some Warwick, and a Tanglewood I once had that sounded amazing but copied a Warwick design, like a Corvette with a shorter long horn, much shorter... and the 1st fret felt like it was in another postcode). Since then, any 'new' shape I look at, the position of the top horn is the first thing I look at.
A 35" Lakland 55-02 did not feel any different from my Stingray, scalewise.
[/quote]

I just sold an old Warwick Corvette this weekend which I hadn't played in a good year and had a bit of a goodbye play on it before it went. Same 34" scale as my Precision but because of the difference in body shape, when I tried to tune it instead of playing a harmonic at the 7th fret I realised I was all the way up at the 9th!

[quote name='vmaxblues' timestamp='1476703456' post='3156382']
[/quote]
We're old. . . sh*t happens. . . speaking from personal experience, of course!

Get a longer strap and play with the head stock raised a little, at more of an angle.