Why become a member? ×

Scale Length?

Sonic_Groove

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' timestamp='1478090466' post='3166642']
Does a longer scale length make the same gauge strings feel tighter or looser???

Thanks

Brendan
[/quote]

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1478091128' post='3166650']
Tighter. That's why a lot of manufacturers use a 35" or more scale on fivers or sixers to tighten up the B.
[/quote]

Only if the strings are exactly the same (except for the length) i.e. they are made by the same manufacturer from the same materials with exactly the same type of construction, and the way that the basses are strung with regards to break angles over the bridge and nut, and the length of non-speaking string behind the witness points is identical between basses. Otherwise compliance factors also come in to play which can completely change how stiff the strings are.

Thanks Folks,

I thought all things being equal it was not much difference to heaver. Just I tried a 35 inch scale the other day with strings heaver than I normally use (on a 34) & it felt great with a light tension! Must of been other factors of the bass!?

Guess I need to start saving & seeing what I can sell!!!

B

Edited by Sonic_Groove

Comparing basses, even with the same strings, can be tricky if you don't get the setup very [i]very[/i] close. A bass with a little relief and low action will usually play a lot better than a similar, or better feeling bass (to the player in question), with high action and loads of relief. less fighting to get the notes to sound, a lighter left hand etc.

If you change scale length - everything changes, even if you change string gauges/tensions to "compensate". The setup will have to be tuned to fit the bass, the player - and crucially the strings. I find some strings work with me - and others just work against me. I've found trying different setups can help a lot for example: lay high tension strings like chromes as low as you can to save your left hand.