Why become a member? ×

3x10/12 users?

M@23

Not a very common configuration, because most amps go to 4 ohm minimum or because it isn't conventional, or because a good 2x12 is more than enough and we all have bad backs anyway?!

It just occurred to me, I run my amp at 4 ohms with one 2x12. Which is plenty, but the amp has an internal dip switch to flick it to 2 ohm. Purely for interests sake, a 3x12 would be quite a lot of fun.

Anyone tried it? Apart from TC I can't really think of a manufacturer that markets their products in that sort of way.

Most cabs that have 3 speakers as well as some with 6 speakers are 5.3-ohms i.e 3 x 16-ohm speakers in parallel.

I have a 4-ohm 2x12 and an 8-ohm 1x12 which if used together would be 2.67-ohms and this set-up can be used with an amp capable of running with a 2-ohm load. Also because all the speakers are the same impedance, the power would be distributed evenly between the three drivers.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1478426504' post='3168930']
Not a very common configuration, because most amps go to 4 ohm minimum or because it isn't conventional, or because a good 2x12 is more than enough and we all have bad backs anyway?!

It just occurred to me, I run my amp at 4 ohms with one 2x12. Which is plenty, but the amp has an internal dip switch to flick it to 2 ohm. Purely for interests sake, a 3x12 would be quite a lot of fun.

Anyone tried it? Apart from TC I can't really think of a manufacturer that markets their products in that sort of way.
[/quote]

I had an epifani 3x10, great cab but in hindsight I should have gone for the 2x10 as I don't think I ever came close to fully utilising its power. Going up to 12 inch drivers I can see no reason why youd ever need 3 of them - if you cant get the power/volume you need from a modern high end 2x12 then your doing something wrong (or are greatly underestimating the capability of modern 12 loaded cabs).

I'm running three Berg 112s with my Magellan, which is more than happy with a 2.67 ohm load. Three small, light boxes, I don't have to take them all to every gig, most importantly the three stack at a good height for me to hear very well on tight stages. Oh, and they sound very, very big indeed. Another plus is the sound stays fundamentally the same, it just gets bigger with more cabs. If you've ever added a second identical cab, you'll know what I mean. One to two is a big step, and so is two to three.

The main thing for me, though, is the height: I've used some very powerful cabs, but some have been so small I felt the best of the sound was hitting my calves...three 12s is a little bit like an old-school stack...without the bulk and the weight. :)

Edited by Muzz

I've had 2 Bergantino 312 rigs.

The first was 3 112's, then a 212 and 112. I'd recommend either format to anyone, they both sounded fantastic.

Modular rigs work best for me, and will cover everything from an acoustic duo to the loudest Led Zep tribute. 2 of my 4 amps are 2 ohm so I have no problem powering 2.67's worth of cabs.

When I moved to 2 Barefaced SC's I was prepared to buy a third to make up the stack again, but I'm as loud with 2 SC's as I was with 3 Bergs, so I can use my 4 ohm amps for the loud gigs again.