Why become a member? ×

Vanderkley or barefaced cabs - which is the best ?

Black Coffee

The best for what?

Tone, volume, looks, ruggedness, weight, size, resale, bragging rights...?

Given that a lot of the above are subjective, I wouldn't trust any answer that is given to you. I'm sure both camps have very happy customers.

Edited by EBS_freak

Having played both, they each have their merits. If I didn't have PA support then I'd still have my 2 x 210MNT Vanderkley cabs. Amazing tone, great build, nice size and not too heavy for a 2x10" cab. Because I do have PA support I've downsized even further and gone for 2 x One10 Barefaced cabs. Great "onstage" tone & volume, decent build and very, very light. That being said, I do miss that "heft" behind me that the VK gave but the BF don't. I've no doubt the larger BF cabs would give this too, they just look crap compared to the "Retro" series IMO :) and I didn't want that look. After all that, I'm still keen to check out the "up-rated" Ashdown RM-112-EVO cabs too, might be a good compromise! That's Basschat for you.

Edited by largo

[quote name='Black Coffee' timestamp='1478531672' post='3169643']
Ive a markbass little mark III 500w@4ohms

Barefaced or vandeekley cabs are the options

Which is the better buy ?
[/quote]

I have no way of giving you a meaningful answer but I can offer you the chance to hear/try my 3 Barefaced cabs in my signature. I'm in Belfast and gig mainly around Belfast and north Down. Just let me know if you're interested. I have several gigs before Christmas.

Frank.

As people have said, no answer given here will be of any use to you.

But, my contribution! I replaced my Vanderkley 112MNT with a Bergantino as I found the berg to be lighter, more compact (small car) and it had something in the tone that made the Vanderkley sound sterile in comparison to my ears.

I have just replaced the Berg with Barefaced as per my recent NCD thread, so technically I have chosen Barefaced over Vanderkley. The Barefaced I found to have better tone and dispersion than the Berg, and much deeper low end.

Does this help, probably not! :)

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1478544635' post='3169791']

I have no way of giving you a meaningful answer but I can offer you the chance to hear/try my 3 Barefaced cabs in my signature. I'm in Belfast and gig mainly around Belfast and north Down. Just let me know if you're interested. I have several gigs before Christmas.

Frank.
[/quote]

A top offer from a top man!

Thanks for the replies.

I've managed to have a play on a barefaced cab loaned to me by a very kind local basschatter and safe to say I'm exceptionally impressed that so much volume comes from such a small box. So barefaced is loud, clear and doing it without having to turn the volume dial very far round. I think the 12" speaker may be the road to go down.

As for wondering on why I asked about Vanderkly and barefaced ?
Barefaced are new kid on block with apparently a reputation for doing very well at being loud and small.
Vanderkly are like the Rolls Royce and if I was buying one cab I was simply wondering what was best at covering most bases; the new kid or the expensive luxury one.

I play bluegrass music in a group but I also like to play metal, thrash, and - well whatever I happen to be listening to for fun.
im not great at describing in words what a sound actually sounds like but I know what I like when I hear it, and I heard it from a barefaced can tonight.

I'm maybe just fishing for a reason why a person wouldn't buy either of these, as I've read very little negative about either of them.

Cheers

[quote name='Black Coffee' timestamp='1478556349' post='3169935']
Thanks for the replies.

I've managed to have a play on a barefaced cab loaned to me by a very kind local basschatter and safe to say I'm exceptionally impressed that so much volume comes from such a small box. So barefaced is loud, clear and doing it without having to turn the volume dial very far round. I think the 12" speaker may be the road to go down.

As for wondering on why I asked about Vanderkly and barefaced ?
[u][b]Barefaced are new kid on block[/b][/u] with apparently a reputation for doing very well at being loud and small.
Vanderkly are like the Rolls Royce and if I was buying one cab I was simply wondering what was best at covering most bases; the new kid or the expensive luxury one.
[/quote]

Barefaced aren't [i]that[/i] new - I bought my first one in 2008!

Barefaced cabs aren't all the same sound either, there are two distinct ranges which sound very different, but even the 12" equipped cabs don't all sound the same. Alex is excellent at advising you on what cab would be most likely to suit your needs. Have a read on the Barefeced website for loads of information.

http://barefacedbass.com/

I would guess both brands would do the job they're designed to do very well. Have a look at basschatter Kev's recent thread.

I have no experience of Vanderkley so can't offer any insight, but I'm sure they're very good cabs.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1478558288' post='3169963']

Barefaced aren't [i]that[/i] new - I bought my first one in 2008!

Barefaced cabs aren't all the same sound either, there are two distinct ranges which sound very different, but even the 12" equipped cabs don't all sound the same. Alex is excellent at advising you on what cab would be most likely to suit your needs. Have a read on the Barefeced website for loads of information.

http://barefacedbass.com/

I would guess both brands would do the job they're designed to do very well. Have a look at basschatter Kev's recent thread.

I have no experience of Vanderkley so can't offer any insight, but I'm sure they're very good cabs.

Frank.
[/quote]

Many thanks for this.

Its the first time ive considered spending more than the cheapest option on a cab and my own understanding of tech lets me down.
Ive been emailing alex over last week or so and spoken to someone else at barefaced by phone.

All really helpful, just considering a different option to compare. Theres so many id get totally bogged down if i spread the net too wide.

Cheers again

I had a couple fo BF cabs last year and in to this year. They are great cabs but i felt they didn't do it for me. I ended up with a Vanderkley 115MN6 and couldn't be happier.
For my style of playing, and doing general covers, the 115MN6 seems to fill out the mix much better, without the extended lows i had struggled with when i had my BB2. Ive been back to the same venues i gigged the BB2 in and can confirm (to my ears) the 1x15 sounded more even and thicker. Of course sounding thicker might mean coloured, but if so that worked for me. I found the upper notes quite weak with my BF cabs, but not so with the 115MN6. They have more punch and presence.
I loved the BF cabs at first, it was only after a few gigs that i noticed they werent working for me. They do produce a lovely tone though.

Of course thats all subjective but thats my experience.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1478616701' post='3170315']
I had a couple fo BF cabs last year and in to this year. They are great cabs but i felt they didn't do it for me. I ended up with a Vanderkley 115MN6 and couldn't be happier.
For my style of playing, and doing general covers, the 115MN6 seems to fill out the mix much better, without the extended lows i had struggled with when i had my BB2. Ive been back to the same venues i gigged the BB2 in and can confirm (to my ears) the 1x15 sounded more even and thicker. Of course sounding thicker might mean coloured, but if so that worked for me. I found the upper notes quite weak with my BF cabs, but not so with the 115MN6. They have more punch and presence.
I loved the BF cabs at first, it was only after a few gigs that i noticed they werent working for me. They do produce a lovely tone though.

Of course thats all subjective but thats my experience.
[/quote]

Interesting comparison. Certainly that was not my experience with the Vanderkley 12's, but the 15 looks like a very different cab with the extra driver...

To be honest i felt its was more the BF cabs not being to my taste rather than the 115MN6 being better. I actually found the rehearsal studios old 4x10 to be better than my BB2, to my ears. Ive posted about this in another thread so wont go on here. Needless to say, my biggest issue was with the low end on both my BB2 and Retro 210.

I wouldn't say the 115MN6 is anything special though, and the 6" driver is pretty useless for me. It sounds like a standard tweeter that only adds very top end string noise, but the light weight, perfect size and tone just seems to make it the right cab for me.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1478679566' post='3170766']
Ooooh, ooooh, what'd you go for Mike?
[/quote]

On trying that 4ohm 2x10 monster of yours i wanted to go 4ohm to keep it to a one cab purchase as i know myself too well and another 8ohm cab to get the max from the amp
would have been too much of a temptation.

Went for supertwin.