Why become a member? ×

Orange OBC115 & OBC410

sirmuppet

Hi all.

Anyone have any experience running both together?

I'm aware of the issues that some say about running different drivers etc... but I'm curious as I've seen a few people run this combo and even Orange has recommended running the 1x15 and 4x10. I have in the past ran an Ashdown 4x10 and 1x15, this sounded good but obviously I had the issue of the 1x15 being louder.

Thanks for any feedback on this.

I've tried them together; sounded good & is a perfectly acceptable stack - people have been doing 410+115 for years, it's only moderately recent fashion to match speaker sizes (whilst I do understand the theory, in practice it doesn't really matter).

I'd have to agree with MM20 though; out of the Orange cabs, the 115 sounds much nicer to my ears.

This is one of those cases where the drivers used is known, so you can make valid comparisons. The 115 uses the Eminence Kappa 115. It displaces 343cc. The 410 uses Beta 10s. They displace 102cc each, for a total of 408cc. The Kappa 15 does have a lower frequency range than the Beta 10, but when you go lower in frequency the displacement requirement for equal output increases. If the 115 was going to be a good match with the 410 it would need considerably more displacement, not less. A 115 along with a 210 would make far more sense.
As to the Beta 10 and Kappa 15 specifically, both are low end drivers, frankly not worthy of being used in cabs in the price range of Orange. There are many cabs with better drivers that sell for less.
[quote]I have in the past ran an Ashdown 4x10 and 1x15, this sounded good but obviously I had the issue of the 1x15 being louder[/quote]Not that I doubt your experience, but it would be the exception to the rule, as the average 115 has less displacement and lower sensitivity than the average 410. The Orange example is hardly an isolated example.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

Thanks for the reply guys.

Have just been offered an OBC410 and I currently have the OBC15. Which is why I want to check. I feel adding another cab would help with projection in the mix, I hope any way.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1478783970' post='3171609']
This is one of those cases where the drivers used is known, so you can make valid comparisons. The 115 uses the Eminence Kappa 115. It displaces 343cc. The 410 uses Beta 10s. They displace 102cc each, for a total of 408cc. The Kappa 15 does have a lower frequency range than the Beta 10, but when you go lower in frequency the displacement requirement for equal output increases. If the 115 was going to be a good match with the 410 it would need considerably more displacement, not less. A 115 along with a 210 would make far more sense.
As to the Beta 10 and Kappa 15 specifically, both are low end drivers, frankly not worthy of being used in cabs in the price range of Orange. There are many cabs with better drivers that sell for less.
Not that I doubt your experience, but it would be the exception to the rule, as the average 115 has less displacement and lower sensitivity than the average 410. The Orange example is hardly an isolated example.
[/quote]

It was certainly more prominent in the mix by a fair bit. Going close up to the speakers it did seem louder. Maybe it was due to it being the bottom cab?

Anyway you mention they are lower end speakers. What would you recommend? I do like the OBC115 a lot, just for a bit more top end I thought the OBC410 would be a good match.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1478796611' post='3171730']
I saw SikTh a couple of years ago, where James Leach was running these with what I think was a GK head. It sounded superb, far better than I thought it would when I saw what he had on stage.
[/quote]If you heard them at all. Chances are what you heard was the PA.