Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a driver

Twincam

What 15" inch driver would best suit this small cab.
Its 1.6 cubic ft internal volume. And has 2 ports which are 3 inch diameter and 4.5 inches in length. Its an old ashdown combo driver has some slight rubbing. I believe the box was tuned for approx 60hz?
The amp gives out no more than 200w 8 ohm.

Looking for something cheaper but all driver suggestions welcome.

That volume is not really ideal for 15s. I could suggest a couple that would work but they're expensive. Your best bet by a country mile is to make a reduction piece by cutting a hole in some 1/2" MDF and fitting a 12. Lots of 12s will work well in 45 litres, like the Celestion bass guitar 12s or the Beyma SM212.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1478882273' post='3172428']
That volume is not really ideal for 15s. I could suggest a couple that would work but they're expensive. Your best bet by a country mile is to make a reduction piece by cutting a hole in some 1/2" MDF and fitting a 12. Lots of 12s will work well in 45 litres, like the Celestion bass guitar 12s or the Beyma SM212.
[/quote]

I understand, I know the volume isn't great. Unfortunately I don't have the tools for that.
Is there a driver that would be the best bet though even if not ideal?

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1478887503' post='3172518']
perhaps they'd sell you a suitable replacement.
[/quote]I doubt there is a 'suitable replacement'. The cab size was probably dictated by the marketing department, based on customer wishes for the cab to be as small as possible for portability, yet loaded with a fifteen, under the mistaken assumption that bigger is always better. The dichotomy is that where low frequency output is concerned bigger is usually better, but that applies to the cab size as well as the driver size. I agree that it's too small for a fifteen, and for best results should be re-configured to house a twelve.

I've had a brief look at the Eminence kappa on winisd. the frequency response is probably ok in that cab but handling at 80 Hz is only about 40W, so your going to find it has a short life in that cab. The trouble is excursion with the kappa.

On a broader note you won't find a cheap driver that works there. Without a big wedge of air in the cab to tame the driver you need a speaker with a big and therefore expensive driver. It'd be cheaper to look at another cab No point in buying a £200 driver for a cheap cab.

All you need to fit a 12" driver is a rectangle of ply the size of your baffle (front panel of the cab) B7Q will cut that for you. Fit the speaker to that and screw the board onto the front of the cab. If you cant cut the hole find a carpenter who will cut a round hole for the speaker they will probably only charge a few quid to do that.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1478891536' post='3172573']
I doubt there is a 'suitable replacement'. The cab size was probably dictated by the marketing department, based on customer wishes for the cab to be as small as possible for portability, yet loaded with a fifteen, under the mistaken assumption that bigger is always better. The dichotomy is that where low frequency output is concerned bigger is usually better, but that applies to the cab size as well as the driver size. I agree that it's too small for a fifteen, and for best results should be re-configured to house a twelve.
[/quote]

By "suitable" I meant "as good as it ever was". Twincam said that he was not equipped for woodworking, so my suggestion was made with that in mind.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1478896193' post='3172612']
By "suitable" I meant "as good as it ever was". Twincam said that he was not equipped for woodworking
[/quote]If 'as good as it ever was' is rubbish it's not a worthwhile goal IMO. It shouldn't be all that hard to find a mate that can cut a 15 inch circle of plywood with an 11 inch hole in it.