Why become a member? ×

Doing Something Different Outside My Comfort Zone

Norris

The drummer in my band has played in another band on and off for a few years and recently my guitarist has been helping out on their new album. The core of the band is a duo. Anyway we've got a gig coming up soon with both bands on the bill, and for convenience I'm playing bass.

The other band is original Americana - a bit different from my usual weekend warrior 70s/80s "dad" rock. As I've also found out, it's a world away from the root & fifth country and western I was expecting. So I have a little under two weeks to learn 15 original songs, that don't have the usual I-IV-V chord sequences! Reputation on the line time!

I'd probably enjoy it a lot more if I could shake off this lousy cold. They are good songs though and my first foray into original material

If you like the songs it is mostly the battle.

Even country is not the supposed doddle it was...and hasn't been for over 20 years.
Nashville is not Music City for nothing.

If there are strong Nashvilles influences,, the bass should be great.... or the opportunity to create great bass lines...

I'm just going to have to listen to them on repeat at every chance I get to get them familiar. Sometimes it's as much to learn the structure, stops and starts as much as the chord sequences. It's not difficult listening though. Not a genre I normally involve myself. There again as a youth I played trombone in an orchestra, brass band and big band - and I wouldn't listen to a brass band out of choice even now :)

The main reason for putting the effort in is the possibility of doing a fairly large gig next year supporting a major tribute band. I don't do "big" gigs often. That'd be fun