Why become a member? ×

Young lads with some great basses and great playing.

bubinga5

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1482778941' post='3202695']

I'll never understand why you think that you have the right to present every one of your opinions as fact...
[/quote]

I don't have that right. And 99% of my posts are based on opinion, not fact. I may forget to add IMO in some if my posts.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1482778340' post='3202690']

How I sound is a result of how much I practice and learn and ultimately own as a part of my playing skill set.

Those with a high level of ability are going to sound great on a Ric and they will sound great on a Jazz as well.

If you lack ability no bass is going to make you sound good.

Take the marginal player that buys a Music Man bass, he's still going to sound marginal.

Now, I will say that buying that Music Man bass might be the catalyst that encourages that player to invest more time and structured study into the craft. Ultimately making him a better player and obviously sounding better.

Blue
[/quote]How you sound of course is your technique. But your going to sound different on different basses. Let's not over think this Jeez what's not to understand.????

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1482779159' post='3202698']

The basses themselves sound different. Am I wrong?
[/quote]

My German made Hofner Club bass sounds a lot different than my Fender MIJ P basses. But my playing sounds the same.

Off Topic;

At the end of the day the crowd doesn't hear us or know what we sound like. They only hear vocals and guitar. IMO

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1482779282' post='3202702']
How you sound of course is your technique. But your going to sound different on different basses. Let's not over think this Jeez what's not to understand.????
[/quote]

Agreed ,but only to a degree. As a bass player I'm going to notice your ability a lot more than the sound of whatever bass your playing.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1482779506' post='3202704']My German made Hofner Club bass sounds a lot different than my Fender MIJ P basses.
[/quote]

Question - do you like the sound of the actual instruments, if you played the exact same pattern on each?

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1482779811' post='3202710']

Agreed ,but only to a degree. As a bass player I'm going to notice your ability a lot more than the sound of whatever bass your playing.

Blue
[/quote]

Noticing 'ability' when you're watching a bassist in a band is completely different to hearing a bassist with their own sound/identity on bass though. I've heard hundreds of local players who have varying levels of ability but only a handful have a distinct enough style that I would know it was their playing if I heard them without seeing them. Having the ability to cover 'Teen Town' and mimic Jaco is a lot different to covering 'Teen Town' and still keeping your own sound (like Marcus Miller's version).

I don't believe there are many players who have that. IMO, I don't think that listening to an average bar band bass player covering Brown Eyed Girl is going to sound much different to the bass player in the next bar covering Brown Eyed Girl. I'd even say I think the tone of the bass is more likely to differ between the two than the actual playing style of the individuals coming through in a well-known bass line.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1482780179' post='3202712']

Question - do you like the sound of the actual instruments, if you played the exact same pattern on each?
[/quote]

There are certain places or songs where the sound of my Hofner is a perfect match.

Would anyone notice besides me, I'd have to say no.

Blue

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1482780500' post='3202716']

Noticing 'ability' when you're watching a bassist in a band is completely different to hearing a bassist with their own sound/identity on bass though. I've heard hundreds of local players who have varying levels of ability but only a handful have a distinct enough style that I would know it was their playing if I heard them without seeing them. Having the ability to cover 'Teen Town' and mimic Jaco is a lot different to covering 'Teen Town' and still keeping your own sound (like Marcus Miller's version).

I don't believe there are many players who have that. IMO, I don't think that listening to an average bar band bass player covering Brown Eyed Girl is going to sound much different to the bass player in the next bar covering Brown Eyed Girl. I'd even say I think the tone of the bass is more likely to differ between the two than the actual playing style of the individuals coming through in a well-known bass line.
[/quote]

No self respecting Midwestern Bar Band would ever play Brown Eyed Girl. We don't.

Blue .

[quote]
I will never understand why some of you guys think it's a particular bass that sounds good [/quote]

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1482792843' post='3202792']
There are certain places or songs where the sound of my Hofner is a perfect match.
[/quote]

Ok! im glad you don't understand you either!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1482793081' post='3202794']

No self respecting Midwestern Bar Band would ever play Brown Eyed Girl. We don't.

Blue .
[/quote]

Interchange Brown Eyed Girl for one of your beloved Beatles tunes or whatever you happen to cover. Same principle stands. I doubt anyone could tell your "sound" in your cover bass line apart from the cover bass line the bassist from the Midwestern bar band in the next bar is playing.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1482793393' post='3202798']

Interchange Brown Eyed Girl for one of your beloved Beatles tunes or whatever you happen to cover. Same principle stands. I doubt anyone could tell your "sound" in your cover bass line apart from the cover bass line the bassist from the Midwestern bar band in the next bar is playing.
[/quote]

You won't get a debate from me there.

I'm out there in the trenches every weekend and I'd venture to say most of the crowd doesn't even know what a bass guitar is or what it sounds like.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1482803493' post='3202846']

You won't get a debate from me there.

I'm out there in the trenches every weekend and I'd venture to say most of the crowd doesn't even know what a bass guitar is or what it sounds like.

Blue
[/quote].

Funnily enough, I also gig. Usually 3-4 times a week. That was what made me question why you think a bass players "sound" comes from their playing when most of the time, they don't have a "sound" because they're just copying the bass lines of someone who did have their own style. Not that any of it matters, because as gigging musicians know, people don't even listen to the band half the time because they're usually doing exactly the same thing as the band in the bar down the road and the band they saw last week.

No wonder you don't want an actual debate. You're too busy making outlandish statements based on your opinions before immediately contradicting yourself at every turn...

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1482830295' post='3202896']

Funnily enough, I also gig. Usually 3-4 times a week. That was what made me question why you think a bass players "sound" comes from their playing when most of the time, they don't have a "sound" because they're just copying the bass lines of someone who did have their own style. Not that any of it matters, because as gigging musicians know, people don't even listen to the band half the time because they're usually doing exactly the same thing as the band in the bar down the road and the band they saw last week.

No wonder you don't want an actual debate. You're too busy making outlandish statements based on your opinions before immediately contradicting yourself at every turn...
[/quote]

I don't copy any bass lines, I play in a US Midwestern Bar Band not a cover band.

I still contend that tone comes from our fingers if you have taken the time to develop a technique that gets you the tone you want.I believe Scott from Scotts Bass shares my opinion.

Outlandish opinions? I am not sure if I have a problem with that or not. I mean they're merely opinions, but I think I'm right.

Blue

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1482831582' post='3202905']

Great, ok. So you also accept that basses sound different? And that those differences can be interpreted as 'good'?
[/quote]

Yes,to a degree. I think there are 2 overlapping issues here, tone and sound.

A Ric probably sounds different than a P. I think tone is the stronger dynamic.

Now , a bigger issue. What does it matter? The crowd doesn't even know what a bass guitar is or what it sounds like.

Blue