Why become a member? ×

Chaps & Chappesses - the Groovetubes Fat Finger DOES work.

Mike

Hi all

I've had a GT Fatfinger for a while - details [url="https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/406-fat_finger_sustain_tool_chrome"]here[/url] but wasn't convinced that it did much.

I'm just running through some standards before a jazz gig tonight, and the C on my G string has the classic dead spot on my 75 Jazz.

Stuck on the fat finger, and it's completely sorted it. Great stuff!

Just thought I'd share my success (and possibly somewhat hollow victory!)

Regards

Mike

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='307157' date='Oct 15 2008, 03:39 PM']nice one! I've wanted one for a while (as I love to let notes riiiiiiing out), and it's nice to see that real people have experienced good things, and it's not just all hype![/quote]

Let's not jump tp conclusions, though.

What Mike has said is that the FatFinger cured his problem of a deadspot on the neck, not that it made ALL notes ring out.

If the deadspot was caused by a resonant frequency somewhere then by adding a FatFinger it has effectively changed the mass of the neck and therefore shifted the resonant frequency (hopefully to somewhere it doesn't cause any problems).

If you want to check this out before buying, you could get the same affect by attaching a simple woodworkers G-clamp to the headstock. If it cures it for you then a FatFinger might be a more aesthetically pleasing alternative !

My limited understanding was that increasing the mass of the headstock would move a dead spot further towards the nut, so you'd need enough additional mass to take the dead spot out beyond the nut.

Is that how it has worked for you?

Oops! Sorry BOD2 - you just beat me to it.

Edited by Happy Jack

I have two. Mainly to leave one laying around in case I can't remember which bass I left the other one on...

They do have an effect.
In terms of ironing out dead spots, they work quite well.
They can, however, deaden the sound of a punchy, vibrant instrument.
This, in itself, is useful if you have an unruly sounding bass which needs taming a bit!

Here's what I've found them to do to various instruments;

OLP MM3- Ugh! Kills it dead and robs the sound of life.
Yamaha Attitude - Gives even more fundamental focus to the low notes. Generally good.
Squier 70's VMJ - Excellent on this (with BadAss and DRs)
Warwick Infinity- Excellent here, too with Elixirs on it. Just the right blend of energy and focus. Take it off and it sounds too 'thin'.
Warwick Streamer LX 6 - No obvious difference on a stiff Wenge neck of that size!
Ovation Celebrity Electroacoustic- Don't EVER put a FatFinger on an acoustic! All the top end disappears!
Stingray V fretless- Kills the mwah a bit.
Vigier Passion III V - Not much difference except it loses a bit of sparkle.
MIA Fender Jazz - Works a treat on this. Thickens up the sound nicely, especially if you use a lot of bridge p/u

Try before you buy if you can - It's a horses for courses job!