Why become a member? ×

Longwinded rambley question

lowrentdiscographer

Okay, Here's the way it is...

At the moment I'm working towards an exam (I'm not gonna say what level) hopefully for some time in the new year. I've decided I'm going to treat myself to a new amp when I pass, and being somewhat limited in funds I decided on an Ashdown Electric Blue evoII.

Except that now I haven't. I have been enthralled by the DIY cabs thread, and I'm tempted to believe that I could buy a Warwick Profet 3.2 and build a small rig based on that for not alot more than the Ashdown combo.

I doubt very much that I would be dissapointed with the Ashdown, those for sale on here seem to get lots of +ve comments and it would be a vast improvement in terms of power and quality over what I use now, but if it's feasable I'm hoping to go one better.

So assuming I buy the Warwick head, I need to know what to do about a cab.

I have every confidence in my woodworking skills (and, perhaps more crucially, those of my Father who would be helping), and lots of time (ie from now until my exam) to construct a cab, however I don't know how to spec it up.

I don't want the overall rig to be much bigger than a large-ish combo, so I was thinking about a 1X15 using the Electrovoice plans linked in the 'stickies' of this section.

What spec (watts/ohms) should my driver be to use alongside this amp? If I use it as a single cab would I need to add a tweeter? (I use a 4 string yamaha rx with active circuitry).

If i was to build a 2X12, could I use the EV 4X12 as a template and 'half it' or the 1X12 and 'double it' How then would I spec the drivers?

Or should I just plump for the Ashdown and be happy (and possibly gratify myself by building an extension cab for it...)

I would welcome the wisdom af any opinions, for [i][b]and[/b][/i] against!

S.

ps with a nod to some more penny pinching has anyone dealt with these chaps...

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/index.html"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/index.html[/url]

The EV plans for a 1x15" are GREAT cabs. I built one myself about 15 yrs ago- still use it today & IMO it sounds better than most modern -equivalent-cabs I've used. I don't think U NEED to add a tweeter. A crossover & a smaller himid driver 'd be a better idea- IF U DO NEED the 'Zing factor" I play everything from old school rocknroll, thru funk & modern pop & the EV 15 does everything FINE!! I'd make it at 8 ohms - as I did- Then if needed U can add a 2x10" cab or similar later -at 8 ohms also to get full power. depends on power requirements, BUT I was fine w/ my 8 ohm cab for yrs!

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='307503' date='Oct 16 2008, 12:02 AM']Not that I am an expert or anything, but I think a clue to what drivers you should use may be in the Electrovoice plans :)[/quote]

I think they were designed with EV's own drivers in mind, but I was thinking of using something a bit more modern. (Are EV even still going?)

S.

[quote name='rodl2005' post='307551' date='Oct 16 2008, 06:12 AM']The EV plans for a 1x15" are GREAT cabs. I built one myself about 15 yrs ago- still use it today & IMO it sounds better than most modern -equivalent-cabs I've used. I don't think U NEED to add a tweeter. A crossover & a smaller himid driver 'd be a better idea- IF U DO NEED the 'Zing factor" I play everything from old school rocknroll, thru funk & modern pop & the EV 15 does everything FINE!! I'd make it at 8 ohms - as I did- Then if needed U can add a 2x10" cab or similar later -at 8 ohms also to get full power. depends on power requirements, BUT I was fine w/ my 8 ohm cab for yrs![/quote]

If I use any additional driver, do I need to mount it in it's own sealed box, on the back of the baffle? And how does this effect the dimensions of the cab, do I need to recoup the lost volume elsewhere?

Would a crossover affect the amount of juice that drives the 'woofer' (could a himid be made off-and-on-able?). Also the more I need to add the less attractive this becomes, because I'm a tight-@rse :)

I'm a little out of my depth with the impedance thing tbh.

S.

[quote name='chris_b' post='307650' date='Oct 16 2008, 09:45 AM']If you're that much of a tight wad play harmonica or get a penny whistle![/quote]

I bought a harmonica but in a rare moment or generousity I gave it to my Dad before I even got it out of the box.

Penny-whistle's are obviously over-priced, and their description should fall foul under the trade discriptions act. When did you last see one on sale for a penny?

S.

[quote name='lowrentdiscographer' post='307427' date='Oct 15 2008, 10:08 PM']I don't want the overall rig to be much bigger than a large-ish combo, so I was thinking about a 1X15 using the Electrovoice plans linked in the 'stickies' of this section.[/quote]
How about a 2x10 with piezos using [url="http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/Omni10.html"]Bill Fitzmaurice's plans[/url]?

[quote name='lowrentdiscographer' post='307613' date='Oct 16 2008, 09:12 AM']I think they were designed with EV's own drivers in mind, but I was thinking of using something a bit more modern. (Are EV even still going?)

S.[/quote]
The good thing about the interweb is it has this thing called Google. You type "electrovoice" and it shows you lots of websites, including electrovoice.com. Its quite useful.

Edited by bass_ferret

If I was DIYing and not intending to get deeply involved in the design process I'd focus on the Bill Fitzmaurice plans. I ended up designing my own cabs after considering a BFM DIY build (I bought all the plans) but I have spent literally thousands of hours over the past few years on trying to design the perfect cab for me...

Alex

Cheers for the replies guys. :)

I'll have a good look through the BFM site, I did have a quick look when I first went through the thread but found some of it a tad complicated, and I'm not sure if the hidden-drivers thing is to my liking aesthetically, although if it sound good I'm sure I could be convinced.

So a few good ideas to be going on with, and I'll try and let you know how I get on, and if I end up going DIY, and if it's a good enough effort, I may even put up a few pics.

Thanks All...

S.

[quote name='clauster' post='308407' date='Oct 17 2008, 10:18 AM']You could always stick a grill on the front like David L Perry (see threads on this site and BFM's) - makes the designs look a lot more "normal"[/quote]

+1

I don't much like the look of the horns on the BFM cabs, but David's cabs look the dog's nads with metal grills. Cloth grills are doable as well.

[quote name='ardi100' post='308331' date='Oct 17 2008, 07:43 AM']So assuming I buy the Warwick ProFet 3.2

+1 for this choice for a cheap, quality, 300W head. I bought mine from Thomann and had no trouble with them. If you wanted to penny pinch even further, you could buy mine, it's absurdly cheap!![/quote]

London's a bit far from Manchester for 'local pick up'!, no idea what a courrier would charge. I was intending to hold off buying the amp until the cab's near-ready and I've passed my exam, but I'll keep my eye on your for-sale thread.

Thank's for the offer, hope you get your double-bass!

S.