Why become a member? ×

Cyclotron recycled guitars and basses

Mrs Tinman

We saw a feature on [url="http://www.simonleeguitars.com/guitars/"]these[/url] last week - guitars and basses made from various recycled materials - some of what goes into them depends on what colour you would like the finished article to be.

Someone (Joe Brown I think it was) had a bit of a play with a guitar and declared it as being great sound-wise.

For me recycled = cheap (in monetary terms) so what has really shocked me is the [url="http://www.ethicalsuperstore.com/products/simon-lee-guitars/simon-lee-recycled-guitar-(cyclotron-benton)/"]price[/url] of them - over £800 for a guitar :)

Now I know that's not a massive amount when it comes to a new bass or guitar, but I also know that you can get very decent ones for a lot less than that.

I suppose the technology is quite new and he will have massive start-up costs to recoup but I can't help wondering how many of these he will actually sell, other than to those with plenty of spare cash that want something 'gimmicky' (or those with big wallets and kind hearts as I believe some are being auctioned on ebay at present in aid of St Jimmy's Hospital).

Of course, if the sound quality etc really is comparable to others of a similar price, that might make it more attractive.

What do others think? If you tried one and liked it would you ever buy one of these in preference to a similar priced 'regular' bass or guitar?

[quote name='Mrs Tinman' post='312204' date='Oct 22 2008, 03:42 PM']For me recycled = cheap (in monetary terms) so what has really shocked me is the [url="http://www.ethicalsuperstore.com/products/simon-lee-guitars/simon-lee-recycled-guitar-(cyclotron-benton)/"]price[/url] of them - over £800 for a guitar :)[/quote]

The Bare Knuckle pickups are pretty damn amazing - and not that cheap.

EDIT: I wouldn't buy one. Ethically sourced wood though, something like that might sway me.

Edited by The Funk

It looks like the body consists of two facings of 12mm thick plastic sheets which are laminated or screwed (I can't tell) onto a wooden core. Interesting idea, at least he's daring to be different but personally I'd prefer a solid body in 3 dimensions. There's all sort of potential for sweat and crap to get into the spaces between the front and back facings which would make cleaning a nightmare.

For a moment there I though this was a [i]Battlestar Galactica[/i] thread! :)

Both of the basses are hideous, and don't claim to be made from recycled materials. I do quite like some of the guitar body materials - but the overall impression is that they're made from solidified sick.

If you want recycled guitars, go to your local car boot.

Jon.

hang on. recycled plastic over a maple body? So whats the point of the plastic bits?
If you have a maple neck and maple body whats so green about screwing a lump of plastic on the front and back? If you can source the maple sustainably why not just use that?

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='312670' date='Oct 23 2008, 01:04 AM']hang on. recycled plastic over a maple body? So whats the point of the plastic bits?
If you have a maple neck and maple body whats so green about screwing a lump of plastic on the front and back? If you can source the maple sustainably why not just use that?[/quote]

Exactly!

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='312670' date='Oct 23 2008, 01:04 AM']hang on. recycled plastic over a maple body? So whats the point of the plastic bits?
If you have a maple neck and maple body whats so green about screwing a lump of plastic on the front and back? If you can source the maple sustainably why not just use that?[/quote]
Bye-bye Unique Selling Point. We wouldn't be talking about them & hitting the website.

J.