Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

3 minutes ago, AndyTheBassBison said:

Good afternoon fellow Yamaha enthusiasts! Does anyone know where I can get replacement knobs from? I'm after 3 as I'm having my BB1024 converted to VVT (It currently has 2 non original knobs fitted). It's this type https://btnmusic.co.uk/products/yamaha-knob-black-cb807761

You pray for them.  I'm not saying they're unobtainium, but they're not far off, sorry.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Quick question for this thread, more out of curiosity than anything else, but I recently acquired a BB2000 (my third BB) and I hadn't realised/expected that the bridge pickup appears not to have any single coil hum when soloed. While it could just be that when I've been trying it out I happen to be in the ideal position for it to be quiet etc, but I'd moved about a bit with the amp up pretty loud. Does anyone know if they're constructed in a way to avoid the hum etc? Either way, a pleasant surprise on what is already a great playing and sounding bass.

So I was tuning up my BB 1100 the other day and noticed that the bottom piece of the peg seems to have separated from the main part. I have owned a few older BB`s and haven`t seen this. As I know that these can be hard to get, does anyone have any ideas?

20240713_111245.thumb.jpg.f3c2dc6237198c91e1e3f276661cb85a.jpg

On 11/07/2024 at 19:32, RobD said:

Quick question for this thread, more out of curiosity than anything else, but I recently acquired a BB2000 (my third BB) and I hadn't realised/expected that the bridge pickup appears not to have any single coil hum when soloed. While it could just be that when I've been trying it out I happen to be in the ideal position for it to be quiet etc, but I'd moved about a bit with the amp up pretty loud. Does anyone know if they're constructed in a way to avoid the hum etc? Either way, a pleasant surprise on what is already a great playing and sounding bass.

I found the same with my BB1024 - I believe it's because it's ceramic. Not sure about the older BBs though but it may be the same.

28 minutes ago, tom.android said:

Catching up on some Glastonbury sets on iPlayer and spotted Fat White Family’s bass player on a black BB414

image.png

Saw them in Bristol a few weeks back, the sound was great and the bass cut through the mix perfectly. Don't know if it was the same bass but it was definitely a Yamaha BB.

Can't beat a 414... 🙂

Interestingly, it looks like he's got a strap button on or about the neck plate...not seen that before with a BB...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I’ve been a big fan of the older BBs since I first got my BroadBass 2000 back in 1982. 
I’ve had a lot of them through the years 1982- 2000 but for some reason I then went back to Fender. 

Anyway, now I acquired a red BB1000S in great condition so I’m back on the BB track again. 
One thing I’ve always thought of is that some BB1000s are totally red, body and headstock, while others have a more traditional appearance with some kind of burst body but more standard colored neck & headstock. 
When googling I come across the all red model appr from 1981-85. 
Does anyone have more info or know where to get it regarding the 80s BB 1000 S and how they may differ? 

6 minutes ago, Maude said:

Anyone in Bristol fancy a bargain BB424x. On Facebook Marketplace, electronics need looking at apparently but worth putting a new loom in as they are only want £80.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1499494460940478/

Damn bargain of the month if that’s not a scam.

id make good use of that…

nevermind

17 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Damn bargain of the month if that’s not a scam.

id make good use of that…

nevermind

The scamalangadingdong bells were ringing instantly but it seems legit. 

Muso type profile, other music related items for sale and cash on collection only. Unless he's gonna mug you for the £80. 

Also got an Ibanez Talman for £60 with electronic problems. 

Who knows? 🤷

7 minutes ago, Maude said:

The scamalangadingdong bells were ringing instantly but it seems legit. 

Muso type profile, other music related items for sale and cash on collection only. Unless he's gonna mug you for the £80. 

Also got an Ibanez Talman for £60 with electronic problems. 

Who knows? 🤷

yeah I’m in Lanzarote so even if I fancied a long drive from Manchester I’m nowhere near - it’ll be long gone by then

1 hour ago, Maude said:

Anyone in Bristol fancy a bargain BB424x. On Facebook Marketplace, electronics need looking at apparently but worth putting a new loom in as they are only want £80.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1499494460940478/

I did see that. Mentioned it to my wife. She said I should be telling the seller it's too cheap, not trying to buy it at that price. I disagreed. I have not managed to persuade her!

2 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

I did see that. Mentioned it to my wife. She said I should be telling the seller it's too cheap, not trying to buy it at that price. I disagreed. I have not managed to persuade her!

If it's some granny who doesn't know what she's selling then I'd offer more, but if it's someone going in eyes open, they set the price and who am I to argue?

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

Tell her you’re picking it up for me 😘😂

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, neepheid said:

If it's some granny who doesn't know what she's selling then I'd offer more, but if it's someone going in eyes open, they set the price and who am I to argue?

This. 

Looking at his profile, he knows what he's got and knows it's got problems, so set a price he's happy with. 

Unless it's got PU issues (very unlikely) the rest of the electrics are cheap as chips, even for good stuff. 

If I was closer I'd struggle not to buy it, and I've already got a 424x.