Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Hey folks! BBN5 Vs BB405; am I right in thinking that the only difference is a slightly smaller body shape on the 405 with a contour inside the lower horn? I think the necks, hardware and pickups are the same? Thanks 🙏 

Edited by TRBboy

A propos nothing much, but was at All Points East last friday. I went to watch Jai Paul. His rather anodyne/generic R'n'B isn't really for me, but two things stood out.

The first is that his bass player is Rocco Paladino, and certainly in this case the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree!

The second is that Rocco's bass for the evening was a BB1100. Big amp, pedalboard, instrument leads and this bloody amazing-sounding bass...this combination of ostensibly "outdated" equipment and a player of taste and talent, without any intention of "it were better when I were a lad...." nostalgia, really struck me.

And particularly the fact that Yamaha BBs really do have a completely amazing sound all of their own.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CPCustomdubwise said:

A propos nothing much, but was at All Points East last friday. I went to watch Jai Paul. His rather anodyne/generic R'n'B isn't really for me, but two things stood out.

The first is that his bass player is Rocco Paladino, and certainly in this case the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree!

The second is that Rocco's bass for the evening was a BB1100. Big amp, pedalboard, instrument leads and this bloody amazing-sounding bass...this combination of ostensibly "outdated" equipment and a player of taste and talent, without any intention of "it were better when I were a lad...." nostalgia, really struck me.

And particularly the fact that Yamaha BBs really do have a completely amazing sound all of their own.

I remember jai paul years back. around 2013 when i heard his stuff while i was on tour. at the time i really liked it. he went ghost for a very long time. 

Rocco plays with yussef dayes and venna. His been sporting that BB 1100s for a while. Had a squier before that when working with tom misch. Does go to show that when it gels with you, it doesn't matter what the brand is. 

Soooo.... I may have bought another BB from my favourite era tonight.... Needs some TLC, but feels and sounds great already! 👌 Will install my usual VBT loom at some point, and possibly a refinish. No hurry though! 

Btw, that's my cellar, not my living room 😅

PXL_20240828_211909467.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Munurmunuh said:

That combination of bass and strings is one of those sounds that's very striking at first, and then gets wearing. I had similar experiences both with a G&L pickup and La Bellas and a Dimarzio and Chromes. In both cases, a couple of weeks was enough!

Don't you have a new yammie or something. What's that all about?

1 hour ago, Munurmunuh said:

Whilst looking for a good video to illustrate the benefits of a reverse P, I came across this on a BB1200

Much better balanced sound across the strings imo. The one area where I’m sad to say Leo didn’t get it right.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Much better balanced sound across the strings imo. The one area where I’m sad to say Leo didn’t get it right.

I've a bass I intend to convert to reverse as that will suit what I want from it, and I've one l'll leave as traditional as that will suit what I want from it. Neither are right, they've both got a combination of strengths and weaknesses and I take my choice.

A reverse P has a more narrow pallette; on one bass I really want its consistency of tone,  and will positively embrace the narrowness. On the other bass, I really want the full breadth possible, and don't care about the inconsistency.

PS. CLF didn't leave the reverse P uninvestigated..... 

Screenshot_20240919_100336_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3691707cb20a3b8235faab54dbb247ea.jpg

From 1975

Edited by Munurmunuh
Pic
  • Like 1

Ayup you BB Bonkers!

In case it’s of interest. I’ve just put up for sale Gilly and previously nord1’s BB1024X with Mint refinish.

I’ve had it since March 2021 so it’s time for someone else to love it to bits ! ( Bonk? )

Cheers all.

Quent

• Like 1
  • Haha 1