Why become a member? ×

The Vanishing Thread...

Andyjr1515

A few of you have asked where the makeshift spray booth thread went.

Simply, I asked the mods to take it down.

Those of you who follow my build threads know that I generally simply say what I personally do and how I do it - I pretty much NEVER say 'this is what you should do'.

But, of course, when you post regular threads and when - to everyone's amazement - some even work out OK, you find that you are regarded sometimes as 'an authority.' That is a bit of a responsibility that has to be recognised, even if it is never intended or deserved.

And that was the problem, I suddenly realised, with taking the same approach with my spraying experiments as I would do with a general build - that is, simply summarising what I was doing and the results. Because taking someone else's ideas and expanding on them or trying something similar is the very essence of why the Build Diaries are so valuable and so much fun - and this process can result in the rapid dissemination of good ideas. But there's the rub...taking the essence of experiments with spraying and doing 'something similar' can - if you are not fully knowledgeable of the risks and preventative measures - be deadly.

So apologies for the abrupt cessation of the thread, particularly for those who are fully aware of the hazards and have been trying to solve similar problems, but it would be a bummer to lose [i]anyone[/i] who might think my build threads are cool :D

Edited by Andyjr1515

Andy,

I think that hits the nail on the head. There are some items that are discussed that [i]assume[/i] certain background knowledge / experience, or follow on from other threads and could be read out of that context.

We all fall in to this trap when we discuss ideas or try to problem solve!

Jez

That's fair enough, and as I'd posted in the other thread, a lot of small luthiery businesses will contract out their nitro spraying as doing it safely is no trivial matter.
The liability issue of build diary threads is an interesting one, and something I've wondered about myself as I sometimes post about building and modifying valve amps. I take a lot of care to do things safely, but I would not like to be somebody's source on how to do this stuff.

I'm a reasonably sensible guy... and to be honest it wouldn't seem that odd if I read a few forum posts and just bought something of the net and started using it... unaware of any safety concerns... maybe a sticky on spraypaint safety would be good ?

I saw the beginnings of the thread about Andy's new spray booth but no more. I'm sure I'm not alone in jumping to the conclusion here that at least one person jumped in there and said there are factors in the construction which made the design illadvised?

Isn't this a positive outcome? If it were not for that thread Andy could be scorched under a molten heap of plastic and chemicals or poisoned with interacting chemical forming gasses; whatever was the potential threat that he faced.

I say, "well done Andy for posting. And well done to the other person for jumping in."

Andys design for the booth was logical and a solution that was low cost and sensible; if you don't know better. There but for the grace of God go I.

Thank you for this opportunity to learn.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1490623691' post='3266540']
I saw the beginnings of the thread about Andy's new spray booth but no more. I'm sure I'm not alone in jumping to the conclusion here that at least one person jumped in there and said there are factors in the construction which made the design illadvised?

Isn't this a positive outcome? If it were not for that thread Andy could be scorched under a molten heap of plastic and chemicals or poisoned with interacting chemical forming gasses; whatever was the potential threat that he faced.

I say, "well done Andy for posting. And well done to the other person for jumping in."

Andys design for the booth was logical and a solution that was low cost and sensible; if you don't know better. There but for the grace of God go I.

Thank you for this opportunity to learn.
[/quote]
Actually, Grangur, it's 'well done Andy twice.'

I'm certain that someone would have tapped me on the shoulder before too long and said, 'Now then...is that really wise?' but actually I tapped myself on the shoulder before anyone else did. One of those '[b]What the hell am I doing[/b]???' moments.... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the comments though :)