Why become a member? ×

Fender: Standard vs Deluxe

joe_bass

As someone who's more than double his 21st birthday and, assuming you genuinely want something you'll hang on to for a very long time, then I'd go for an American Standard.

Pure classic lines and unlikely to go out of fashion - especially if you buy a simple traditional colour. If you decide to mod it then you could always make sure everything is retro-fittable.

The fact that it has a lower start price means a) you'll feel less likely to trade it on a whim & :) it'll be easier to sell if you ever do have to move it on.

However - if you just want the best bass you can afford in today's market and don't want something to keep for ages then shop around & consider all the great jazz style basses out there. I have a Sadowsky & Lakland & rate them very highly. Both relatively easy to trade onwards if needed.

Thank you Molan great advice.

Well you guys just had to push didn't you :) & now I'm very interested in a Sadowsky. Jokes!!

Not about Sadowsky though! Have had a quiet afternoon here at work today so done some research & watched some video clips etc. Look very, very nice instruments!
Wouldn't be able to afford an NYC so looking at the Metro series, although they are still above my intended budget.

Does anyone know of a place that sells Sadowsky in the south? I know of The Gallery in London of course but it's a bit of a journey & would prove expensive day. Wondering if there is anywhere Brighton or Southampton way. Surprised that GAK in Brighton don't sell them tbh, that place is awesome.