Why become a member? ×

Would it be possible to route a vocal pa channel into a bass cab?

julesb

This might be daft so be kind. Just considering alternatives to carrying a backup head. This would be with a vocal pa so I would use the desk as my amp and take an out out from the desk into the bass cab in case of failure of the bass head. Does that make sense? and has anybody done this?

Unless the mixer has integral power amps and you are not using both for PA, you will need a power amplifier in the chain.

Your head contains a pre-amp and a power amp. The mixer would only replace the pre-amp section.

Or get yourself a Sansamp DI and carry that instead so you can play through the PA. Even if it's just a small vocal PA as long as you keep the volume sensible you'll be fine, and even if you can't eq like you might like it will get you out of a hole and keep your gig going. Had to do this when had issues with my LM3 (which turned out to be a cable issue, now solved by buying some lovely cables from the previous poster - thanks Dave!), and could get going again in about 30 seconds with the kit to hand. Don't go anywhere without mine now.

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1491045377' post='3270095']
Or get yourself a Sansamp DI and carry that instead so you can play through the PA. Even if it's just a small vocal PA as long as you keep the volume sensible you'll be fine, and even if you can't eq like you might like it will get you out of a hole and keep your gig going. Had to do this when had issues with my LM3 (which turned out to be a cable issue, now solved by buying some lovely cables from the previous poster - thanks Dave!), and could get going again in about 30 seconds with the kit to hand. Don't go anywhere without mine now.
[/quote]

good idea

[quote name='julesb' timestamp='1491045549' post='3270097']
It will have power as the singers will be using it so just thought I could hijack a spare channel and route the output to my speaker.
[/quote]

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. The power amplifiers in the mixer will be driving the PA speakers. There will be no spare output to drive your cab.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1491045721' post='3270099']
Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. The power amplifiers in the mixer will be driving the PA speakers. There will be no spare output to drive your cab.
[/quote]

Ah ok, got it. Thanks very much.

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1491045915' post='3270101']
Keep and eye on the for sale sections on here - I bought mine, a VT bass which does the job perfectly from Colgraf (RIP) for £90 in it's original tin via an ad in the "effects for sale" section.
[/quote]

Will do, Thanks. Someone was raving about the VT clone that is available for pennies. Will do a bit of research.