Why become a member? ×

Play that funky music. How do you play it?

dave_bass5

Ive often wondered how others play it.
The two ways I do it are to play the bass line as it was recorded and play the main riff during the guitar solo(s) to fill it out a bit.
Ive seen a few bands recently and they all do it the second way all the way through.
Im happy doing it as i do but was just thinking how many others do it as it was recorded.

I probably play it wrong but for the main riff I start with a long open E then on the A string play D to E then on the E string A to B then on the A D to E again

When it moves up I start the same sequence on G on the E string

Like I say it is probably technically wrong but it works well as we have a keyboard player playing some of the other bits

Great song for getting the dance floor full !!

One thing that might be useful is to check out some live recordings.
For this song we copied the version by Extreme (love 'em or hate 'em, its pretty good) which is a quite rocked up but shows how to cover it with a single geetar and bass.
As I recall its a case of holding down the main riff under the solo, but pepping it up in terms of the rhythm so it moves a bit faster. Maybe.

Great track though. Love it.

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='313966' date='Oct 24 2008, 04:53 PM']I probably play it wrong but for the main riff I start with a long open E then on the A string play D to E then on the E string A to B then on the A D to E again

When it moves up I start the same sequence on G on the E string

Like I say it is probably technically wrong but it works well as we have a keyboard player playing some of the other bits

Great song for getting the dance floor full !![/quote]

Sort of how i play it.

I feel that playing the main guitar riff changes the song quite a bit. It does drive it along nicely but i feel it looses the dance groove.
Or maybe thats just my playing.

[quote name='coasterbass' post='313972' date='Oct 24 2008, 04:57 PM']For this song we copied the version by Extreme (love 'em or hate 'em, its pretty good)

Great track though. Love it.[/quote]

Hmmm, ill have a hunt for that version. I actually quite like(d) Extreme. I didnt know they did this song.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='313962' date='Oct 24 2008, 04:52 PM']What i meant was to NOT play the guitar riff all the way through.[/quote]
Aye, that I know, I just can't remember if what I play is as recorded or some other nonsense my brain made my fingers do!! Haha :)

I dind't know Extreme did a cover, I thought Thunder did? Or someone like that...?

It's one of the songs in our set that I started off playing a bit of a busking version at practice a few years ago and then worked it round a little so it sits ok with the other instruments.

After playing it for two years I listened again to the original and my version is quite different to the recorded version ( happens quite a bit :) )