Why become a member? ×

ACG Recurve 'Helium' fretless
£1200

Brother Jones

I don't think I've ever regarded a bass as being 'the one' as much I do this, but sadly unless I raise some cash I won't have any more gas or electricity.

A decade ago when I owned a Zon Sonus fretless, I could have sworn blind that it was the best fretless I could possibly own. I was wrong.

I bought this about eighteen months ago from Alan on a whim and paid £1800 for it. It's a slightly unusual bass in that it has a spruce core and a spalt alder top and back - precisely to make it as lightweight as possible. It weighs 3.1kg and is without doubt not only the best fretless I've ever played, but also the lightest.

It's a classic ACG in that it has a flat board, an asymmetric neck and a proper filter preamp. The pups are both singles, have balls, and the tonal range defies any other preamp I've ever used. If you want Jaco, this will do it in spades, but it also does that front pup semi-Precision, Bill Laswell thing to a tee.

It is beautifully made and detailed, with matching spalt alder back, heel and headstock. The ebony board isn't far away from being a full centimetre thick, with side dots on the line positions. The action is very low and (heinous though it is to say) this is not only chock full of 'mwah', but is weirdly slappable.

Will be supplied in the blue Fusion gigbag in which Alan originally delivered it to me.

The bass is in pristine condition, and has only ever been noodled on in my flat.

£1200 feels like a very fair offer, but I am wiling to listen to reason up to a point. Would (hugely) prefer collection, or meet in central London, but you can arrange a courier if you prefer. I'm in Kingston, in SW London.

Photos from the ACG website here:

[url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/portfolio/0220-recurve-4-fretless/"]http://www.acguitars...rve-4-fretless/[/url]

Thanks