Why become a member? ×

Boss line selector question

Quatschmacher

Hi guys,

I wonder if boss line selector users in here might be able to help. I was wondering if I could use the LC-2 in "A+B Mix" mode in conjunction with a Q-Tron to get a mix of the dry and wet signal. The original Q-Tron has a separate "direct out" socket. My idea would be:

plug the bass into the input of the LS-2;
plug "line A send" into the Q-Tron;
plug the "effect out" of the Q-Tron into "line A return" of the LS-2;
Plug the "direct out" of the Q-Tron into "line B return" of the LS-2.

My question is, would that work because I wouldn't be sending any signal from the "line B send"? From what I can gather from the block diagram, it appears that the line volume is applied to the received return signal as opposed to the sent signal. Also, would I need to have a jack plugged into "line B send" in order for that line to be activated?

Thanks

I think it just mixes with the clean signal if you leave one of the loops empty, but you could always just use a patch lead to run straight from the send to the return.

The other option is to plug the bass into the Q-Tron, take the wet out of the Q-Tron into return A, and the dry out of the Q-Tron into return B, and the output of the LS-2 will go to the next in the chain - this definitely works

If you just want a clean blend and none of the other functions of the LS-2 I'd buy a clean blend pedal as it'll be simpler and cheaper

I hadn't thought of going from send straight to return. That's a good idea! Thanks.

I'll check out a clean blend pedal too, thanks for the suggestion. However, I'm sure there are other ways I could use the LS-2 too.

I'm basically trying to achieve the function of the "dry" and "fx" knobs of the MXR M82 but using a Q-Tron instead.

That will work perfectly, as the LS-2 works via the Return Jacks. I use mine as an A/B switch for 2 basses simply by plugging nothing into the input, and a Bass into each return. Set it to A<->B and you have a 2 channel instrument selector with variable gain to match the output levels between basses. Then just take the normal output to the next pedal as normal. Works a treat! You wouldn't need anything plugged into the Send of B.

Edited by Higgie

I don't know, mine seems to work! I regularly use it with just one bass straight into the return of A, and then switch to B to act as a mute! If you were using it with batteries I could definitely see a problem? Using it with a power supply seems to be fine. As it's one of those Boss Pedals that can distribute power from a second jack, maybe it's always on once you connect a power supply to it?

Edited by Higgie

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes, I think the input functions as a switch in battery mode but when a PSU is connected it is always on.

I've been reading up on pedals a fair bit and just seen that Mike Beigel has launched a Micro-Tron III, which is a small pedal version of the original Mu-Tron III but with a level control knob! I have so much envelope filter gas right now!

Edited by Quatschmacher

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1493776431' post='3290599']
I don't know, mine seems to work! I regularly use it with just one bass straight into the return of A, and then switch to B to act as a mute! If you were using it with batteries I could definitely see a problem? Using it with a power supply seems to be fine. As it's one of those Boss Pedals that can distribute power from a second jack, maybe it's always on once you connect a power supply to it?
[/quote]
Yes, that'll be it. Something else I have not yet tried with mine, such a useful pedal I wouldn't be without one!