Why become a member? ×

XP

gareth

I have an old laptop that uses windows XP for spreadsheets, word processing, etc

I disconnected it from the internet years ago following warnings from microsoft that they would no longer be supporting XP

I use mainly apple ipads now

I am struggling with understanding how it is the NHS and a couple of large car manufacturers are still using XP!

Welsh NHS aren't, they were unaffected. It's down to lack of finding with the NHS. The government were warned about it, but chose to ignore the warning.

I don't understand why windows doesn't work the same as my MacBook. If I download an app that's not from the App Store, then it won't automatically open and run it. Why can't Microsoft do the same?

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1494686789' post='3297870']...still using XP!
[/quote]

A lot of software, and more especially 'custom' software, won't run on 'upgraded' OS, for many reasons. Running XP (or MS-DOS, or DR-DOS, or any other...) is not, in itself, a problem, as long as the security implications are taken on board, depending on criticality. This would include having suitable isolation from public networks, having robust and verified back-up procedures and 'spare' hardware. There are still a lot of servers out there running NT..!
Not everything can be updated at the same frenetic pace as Microsoft[i] et al[/i] would like. It's not only the cost of the OS itself. It's also a very good reason for eschewing 'customisation' of software; this very forum has, occasionally received, and resisted, requests for functionality which would imply such. It's not an easy route to take.

Edited by Dad3353