Why become a member? ×

Basschatters, I need your help.

NancyJohnson

Last night at rehearsal we jammed around something new for the first time; it has an eight bar intro, but annoyingly we only recorded a version with a four bar intro, so I've done a nasty edit below. Warning, it's a new song, so lots of mistakes and it was recorded on a little field recorder, so sound quality isn't great.

At present, the bass line over the start is just based around F#/C#/B/F#; frankly I don't like finishing the sequence on the same note on which the next part starts (even if, as in this instance, that final F# is played off the 9th fret on the A string). We played the start maybe thirty times while I tried to make it a bit more interesting, but for the first time in yonks, nothing came up. I've tried today, nada.

In my head, I kind of know what it needs, but my fingers are doing the business...Any suggestions?

[url="https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwPWKz0CLJz-U3FNbGs2amJiakU"]https://drive.google...U3FNbGs2amJiakU[/url]

It'll be hard as most notes won't work with the tritone in the riff. Try sticking to the minor pentatonic (which you already are) and maybe adding a reference to the tritone (b5, or C in your example) to make it interesting. Also, try varying the rhythm a little and it may help come up with new ideas?