Why become a member? ×

In praise of the Behringer BDI21

JapanAxe

I recently picked up a used BDI21 for £14.99 from Crack Converters in Redcar. They had quite a few useful/interesting/unusual bits of musical equipment in there, and a better range of amplification than most small music shops!

I knew these had a good reputation, but I am unfeasibly chuffed with mine. I really like the way the sound thickens up as you raise the Drive control, without going into audible distortion until the last 1/4 turn. Some forum posts knock it for lacking mids, but to me it still gives a fatter sound than straight DI. I bought it mainly for home recording - until now my best recorded bass sounds have come form the transformer-balanced DI output of my Demeter head, but that normally lives in my gig gear cupboard downstairs, so it is not that handy when late-night recording inspiration strikes. I have yet to record with the BDI21, but I think this is going to be a winner.

Yep - have to agree, when you compare the price vs. a sansamp, it's just incredible..

Unfortunately I can be a bit of a brand snob when it comes to gear and as such after getting the BDI21 to see if it did what I thought it would, I now gig with a sansamp.

Edited by LewisK1975

I've got one and they are incredible value for money but I prefer my Zoom B1on, a bit dearer but still only about £45 and it has loads more sims if you want them, I mostly just use it with Sansamp bass driver sim the point where distortion kicks in is a lot more controllable, I can have it set just below where it gets 'spikey' whereas the BDI21 seems to be all or nothing

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1498208669' post='3323095']
Used it last night to record a short clip with two different Precisions. Pleased to say you can hear the difference on the recording. Once I've finished tracking the other parts I'll post up a link.
[/quote]
Please do! I have one and have never really used it - not sure why. :)

Mine sits in front of my Fender Rumble 500v3 and is on all the time. I have modded mine as per the video on Youtube and you can get a huge amount of mids using the mod, but for the most part, I use mine in stock mode.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1498249386' post='3323459']
Has anyone got a link?
[/quote]

This is the one I've seen before, dunno if there are any others out there...

[media]http://youtu.be/l8MbcoSsc14[/media]

Well here's my latest demo clip, the [url="https://cdn.bandmix.co.uk/bandmix_uk/media/292/292159/61205.mp3"]solo from Don't Speak[/url] by No Doubt. All the 'real' instruments went via my Cali76.

Godin nylon-string
Tele (rhythm) via Bassman model on Zoom MS-50G
'73 Precision (with flats) via BDI21 - the original is much sizzlier (Stingray?) but these clips are to demonstrate my playing ability, not replicate the originals to the last detail
MIDI drums and cello

EDIT: This is the [url="https://app.landr.com/library/tracks/48635b75-841b-4b10-8019-cd40b18b9116"]link[/url] for the LANDR-mastered version - not sure whether it will be accessible to others.

Edited by JapanAxe