Why become a member? ×

Audere vs East J-Retro

molan

Thinking about adding an active circuit to my DJ and a lot of US users recommend the Audere.

Just wondered whether anyone had one fitted and/or had been able to test one against a J-Retro?

The Audere retails at $149 in the US so quite a good price really.

[quote name='molan' post='318711' date='Oct 30 2008, 10:55 PM']Thinking about adding an active circuit to my DJ and a lot of US users recommend the Audere.

Just wondered whether anyone had one fitted and/or had been able to test one against a J-Retro?

The Audere retails at $149 in the US so quite a good price really.[/quote]

Personal preference really. I think the East is better personally but thousands would disagree.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='318712' date='Oct 30 2008, 10:57 PM']Personal preference really. I think the East is better personally but thousands would disagree.[/quote]

i'd say the j-retro by a mile!!!!!

ive had both preamps, the audere was just noisy to the point where i picked up russian radio and it was pretty odd sounding too! the j-retro on the other hand was very pleasant, musical and it had loads of different sound options! each of them very usable.

thats just my experience (i'd still probably get a sadowsky on board pre though if i were you :huh: )

by the way im looking forward to getting that trace off you mate :)

I've compared them back to back and the Audere did it for me. Much more variation in tone - the z switch is pretty damn good.

Similar build quality, no noise problems with either. Both are good but the East lacked extremes of tonal variation, in other words was a bit too polite (for me at least, I can still understand why it is highly regarded). The Audere has variation in spades. Both used with Bartolini 9J1's.

I regret selling mine - I have an AC Guitars EQ 02 and although I've only played with it for an hour or so, I'm a bit dissapointed in that as well. But I'm prepared to put a bit more time into that to see if it is suitable for my needs. Time will tell!

D.

No experience of East but i loved the Audere i had, very quiet even with a set of dark star single coils. The z mode switch is the killer feature, i set mine up so in low z mode it had more gain towards the neck pickup, instant reggae heaven! To be honest if i built a bass i would be wary of buying the east in case i wanted another Audere! Why not be daring and have a look at the ACG filter based pre?

Edited by steve-norris

[quote name='deksawyer' post='318772' date='Oct 31 2008, 01:45 AM']I regret selling mine - I have an AC Guitars EQ 02 and although I've only played with it for an hour or so, I'm a bit dissapointed in that as well. But I'm prepared to put a bit more time into that to see if it is suitable for my needs. Time will tell![/quote]

Bit surprised by that dude.
I spent a while at Alan's last weekend messing around with his EQ01 on a variety of basses and I was extremely impressed.
The variety of sounds on offer might be a little daunting, however I'd rather have too many than just a couple.

I'd hang in there with it Dek, it'll probably take a little longer to familiarise yourself but I guarantee it'll be worth the effort.

Just my 2p.

Cheers,
Eude

EDITED: as I can't read properly...

Edited by eude

If you buy a J Retro not only will you get a fantastic sounding pre but you will also get the absolute best in customer service should you need it.
John sent me the parts to fit my J Retro into my Lakland DJ4 for free - The man is a star and deserves your business.

[quote name='rayfw' post='318934' date='Oct 31 2008, 11:56 AM']If you buy a J Retro not only will you get a fantastic sounding pre but you will also get the absolute best in customer service should you need it.
John sent me the parts to fit my J Retro into my Lakland DJ4 for free - The man is a star and deserves your business.[/quote]

Yeh 2nd that John is a top bloke , got him to fit one of his Marcus Retro's to my Miller bass , the other month , and love it , almost a Swiss Army Knife of tone's !

Just noticed you are in Henley on thames , John is probably less than an hour from you by the way.

Edited by plumbob

[quote name='rayfw' post='318934' date='Oct 31 2008, 11:56 AM']If you buy a J Retro not only will you get a fantastic sounding pre but you will also get the absolute best in customer service should you need it.
John sent me the parts to fit my J Retro into my Lakland DJ4 for free - The man is a star and deserves your business.[/quote]

Yes, I'd agree with that as well.

John was kind enough to loan me a J-Retro for a few weeks last year which I was very grateful for. We chatted for ages on the phone and he seems to be a great guy!

[quote name='eude']Bit surprised by that dude.
I spent a while at Alan's last weekend messing around with his EQ01 on a variety of basses and I was extremely impressed.
The variety of sounds on offer might be a little daunting, however I'd rather have too many than just a couple.[/quote]

Well, I'm a Wal user and the tones available, as you probably know, are pretty much endless. As I said, I've not had a chance to fully play with the EQ 02 since I sold my amp/cabs a few weeks ago and my new TecAmp stuff hasn't arrived, so I'm probably jumping the gun a bit by saying I'm not impressed so I'll glady retract that statement - I'll leave judgement for when I do actually use it more. The EQ 01 is a different beast and I'd prefer one, but I'd have to buy one of Alans basses (apart from financing one, is not a problem I can assure you - I'd love a left handed 4 string "Lazarus"!!)

D.

Not tried the Audere, but have tried the J-Retro, ACG Filter, and Sadowsky pre-amps.

In the end it's all down to what you want sound-wise and any recommendation we give is meaningless and less you like the same sound as the recommender. For me it's ACG Filter all the way. The J-Retro's good but doesn't really do anything a decent amp can, and the Sadowsky basses sounded better in passive mode than with the pre-amp engaged.

All personal taste YMMV etc...