Why become a member? ×

Made some slight progression in my playing

Twincam

As the title says I've recently noticed a slight improvement in my ability. Which has been along time coming.
I still feel that for my approx 4 years and a few months playing I'm way behind.
I know I wasted 2 years on very bad technique and just trying to teach myself the basics.
Then a year or so teaching my ex girlfriend the basics of playing. With success I might add and she does still play I believe. But it taken up a lot of time and so I never felt like practicing myself or pushing myself to learn harder things.

Anyhow I've been putting in more time the last few months and although I'm not happy still with my ability (although passed my initial, play along to easy tunes goal long ago) at least there's improvement. Oh last time I complained I couldn't play hit me with your rhythm stick. Well now I can play a passible version at full speed, I'm still working on it, I know I will get there. So my confidence to be able to improve is also better.
Still a long way to go.

A mantra for life, not just for Bass players:

[size=5][color=#6A6A6A][font=arial, sans-serif][b]"Success[/b][/font][/color][color=#545454][font=arial, sans-serif] is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do"[/font][/color][/size]

Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick is not an easy song, don't be so harsh on your abilities :)

great bassline isn't it? I can play it, but my left hand cramps up something shocking by the end of it.

Been playing on and off for 30+ years and I'm still learning, it never stops, THAT's the beauty of playing an instrument. You just learn more and get better :)

I've found that the more time I put into it the more I get out of it, like most things I guess

Edited by bazztard

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1498847733' post='3327584']
As the title says I've recently noticed a slight improvement in my ability. Which has been along time coming.
I still feel that for my approx 4 years and a few months playing I'm way behind.
I know I wasted 2 years on very bad technique and just trying to teach myself the basics.
Then a year or so teaching my ex girlfriend the basics of playing. With success I might add and she does still play I believe. But it taken up a lot of time and so I never felt like practicing myself or pushing myself to learn harder things.

Anyhow I've been putting in more time the last few months and although I'm not happy still with my ability (although passed my initial, play along to easy tunes goal long ago) at least there's improvement. Oh last time I complained I couldn't play hit me with your rhythm stick. Well now I can play a passible version at full speed, I'm still working on it, I know I will get there. So my confidence to be able to improve is also better.
Still a long way to go.
[/quote]

You can be any kind if player you want to be. There are tools and tutorials on every aspect of bass playing you can imagine and then some on YouTube.

It depends on how much you want to put into it.

For some playing high level bass comes naturally and it's easy for them.

It's never been easy for me. Even after 50 years of playing I still have to practice a lot to learn new things and keep my chops up, and I have a busy gigging schedule.

I don't recommend new players spend a lot of time on slapping and popping technique. Start with the basics.

Keep at it and don't discount the tools on YouTube especially Scott's Bass Lessons. Even his free stuff is invaluable.

Blue

Edited by blue

try some slower things too that rely on timing and getting the groove right - sometimes they are more difficult than youd at first think

somebody elses guy for example - not fast but get the groove wrong and you pretty much destroy everything else the band is doing