Why become a member? ×

Using MarkBass Combo heads with drum machine & headphones

molan

I'm selling a Mark CMD121P and someone who is interested asked if the Tuner output can be used for headphones, does anyone know if this is possible?

They also asked if the XLR input can be used to feed either a drum machine or iPod into the combo whilst still being able to play bass over the top using the regular bass input?

I'm fairly certain the latter is possible and easy to set up but not so sure about using the tuner out for phones?

Unfortunately I don't have the combo with me at home so can't try either of these options out.

The head is the standard one used by Mark for their combo range if that's any help :)

One thing to remember (or pass on) is that only the DI out will have any EQ or filters on it. The tuner and FX out will be pre EQ. Im pretty sure you cant use the tuner out for headphones as you wont have any control over volume level other than the gain control. And even then i think it will be too low to work.
So i would imagine no is the answer to the first question.At least, not without a mixer of some sort.

You can indeed run both inputs at the same time.

So i would say its going to be much easier to get a small £20 mixer than try and use the combo on its own.

Edited by dave_bass5

Barrie, I've just had a look at the manual. The XLR is Line Out not In.

You could use the Effects return, set to parallel for the drum machine. The balance between bass and drum levels would have to be controlled by the drum machine output control.

As for using headphones, there might be enough level coming out of the Line Out to drive headphones, otherwise you could use a [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rolls-PM52-Connect-Headphones-to-Amp-Speaker-Outputs_W0QQitemZ150291421559"]Rolls-PM52[/url]. This unit enables headphones to be driven from a power amp. I believe that happy jack got one recently.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='320717' date='Nov 3 2008, 10:05 AM']Dave.
I thought the head had a XLR in on the front. Is this not the case?[/quote]

Difficult to tell from the documentation however it says that it's mic level and most drum machines come out at around -20db (consumer line level) so I still reckon that the effects return is a better bet for the drum machine/ipod.

[quote name='obbm' post='320745' date='Nov 3 2008, 10:34 AM']Difficult to tell from the documentation however it says that it's mic level and most drum machines come out at around -20db (consumer line level) so I still reckon that the effects return is a better bet for the drum machine/ipod.[/quote]

I agree, thats why i think a £20 mixer would be the best option. proper EQ, will take the XLR DI so he will have access to the EQ and filters and will be able to balence the drum machine etc properly.
In fact, thats what i did when i first got my LMII.

[quote name='WalMan' post='321401' date='Nov 3 2008, 10:37 PM']My CMD121H has an XLR in on the front above the jack in.

I use it to feed the BOD in. Not sure whether you can use both that and the jack though - sorry[/quote]

You can according to the manual and i have done it in the past but it was just a Mic and i couldn't get a good balance.
Just a test really.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='320717' date='Nov 3 2008, 10:05 AM']Dave.
I thought the head had a XLR in on the front. Is this not the case?[/quote]

Yep - official blurb says:

[i]"Balanced input accepts balanced XLR allowing the head to accommodate for all sorts of acoustic bass pickup systems. You can also use this input to plug in a microphone - even while you play your bass through the 1/4" jack input"[/i]

I guess it would depend on how you were able to balance the two signals but it ought to be a possibility anyway.

Thanks for the tips anyway guys, deal is now agreed :)

[quote name='molan' post='321412' date='Nov 3 2008, 10:51 PM']Yep - official blurb says:

[i]"Balanced input accepts balanced XLR allowing the head to accommodate for all sorts of acoustic bass pickup systems. You can also use this input to plug in a microphone - even while you play your bass through the 1/4" jack input"[/i]

I guess it would depend on how you were able to balance the two signals but it ought to be a possibility anyway.

Thanks for the tips anyway guys, deal is now agreed :)[/quote]

Balance by using the vol control on the bass....

Just a thought like!

[quote name='fretmeister' post='321620' date='Nov 4 2008, 10:52 AM']Balance by using the vol control on the bass....

Just a thought like![/quote]

Doh!

What a dumb bell, I'm so used to keeping the volume control at near full all the time I hadn't even considered that :)

[quote name='molan' post='321640' date='Nov 4 2008, 11:07 AM']Doh!

What a dumb bell, I'm so used to keeping the volume control at near full all the time I hadn't even considered that :)[/quote]

Not ideal though. Also i would say it works the other way. The XLR input will be much louder than the jack so you wont need to turn the bass down. You would need ot use the volume control on the drum machine etc.
I think it works that way round.

Still not ideal as you only get one set of EQ controls for both.

Edited by dave_bass5