Why become a member? ×

Leduc U-Bass fretless 4 strings brand new, now sold !

A friend of mine is selling this extraordinary fretless bass, he is 100% trustable : https://www.zikinf.com/annonces/dispannonce.php?annonce=1446715

The bass is brand new and sounds really terrific.

Edited by Hellzero

Amazing how many of the details of this resemble my own recent build with Andyjr - particularly the headless bridge system and how the strings are held above the nut. Honestly, we (well, me anyway) didn't know about this design.

GLWTS

Edited by TheGreek

Christophe LEDUC has a lot of patents for this instrument that were registered way back in 1992 for France and 1994 for the world...

Alain Caron is still owning and playing one 6 strings fretless of the first model and Abraham Laboriel is still owning and playing a 6 strings fretted one.

He is THE French master luthier, highly respected by his other fellow makers for his knowledge and quite strangely is originally an architect because he needed to understand the laws of physics before making instruments. He was also the only one able to repair a sitar way back in the 70's as he went to India to learn the making of it.

He made this special 6 strings electric upright bass for me (it took 7 years to finish the project as it was a two brains job going in the same direction but not always using the same path...) : http://leduc.fr/index.php/series-l/contrebasse-de-la-serie-l

We also became friends over the time (we know each other for 30 years).

[i]je la vends parce que entre la commande (Fevrier2014) et la livraison (Mai 2016), je suis
passe à la 6 cordes, elle est comme neuve [/i]

My French ain't great, but I think that means he placed the order for this custom build in Feb'14 but didn't take delivery until May'16. :o

That's it, you read it right.

The other part says that in the meantime he went to 6 strings basses (a second hand Leduc MP631 SF fretless, a second hand Aries Senes VS 6 Signature and a second hand F-Bass AC6 fretless).

It takes up to 2 years to get an instrument finished by Leduc (Fleta has a 20 years waiting period, just for the fun). Christophe is working alone and he is also making repairs.

On the 1st of April of 2016 he decided to refuse to take orders for a complete year as it would have had a negative impact on his "production"...

So maybe we know each other, as I'm 15 kilometers away from there and lived for 10 years in one of the the village just next to the city of Virton. And some 15 to 20 years ago I used to have my own repair shop...

I only lived in Virton/St Mard (Rue Edmont Jacques) for about 18 months - Feb 2001 to September 2002, we lived right near to the little Protestant church by the river. I used to go up to Etalle as often as I could as there was a wonderful music shop there - bought a lovely Yamaha Pacifica guitar there after my cheapy Les Paul copy broke - headstock snapped off when it fell over and discovered it was, basically, made of MDF!!
From there we moved to Bastogne where we lived until July 2013 when we came back to the UK.

Edited by anzoid

I know the place as my uncle used to own the Peugeot garage by the bridge (but maybe it had already moved to Latour in 2001), very calm place there where you lived. Funny, we are now back in Etalle for 3 years (after 10 years in Ethe) and I was making the repairs for the shop you mention (Pierson Musique), so maybe we've met. TV Lux even made a report on me as I was the only local luthier. I was playing in a band called Cirrus at the time. Do you miss the "pâté gaumais" and the Orval ? ;-)

We used the Peugeot garage for all our car work - we had an old Peugeot 309 and they did all of its servicing, helped us get through the Controle Technique and were generally really wonderful to us - your uncle may (or may not) remember us as the English couple with a small child who spoke very little French when we first arrived in the town. They taught me a lot of useful car related language and never laughed when I tried to explain things.

It is possible we have met - I did go in one time for a guitar repair - took in the Les Paul mentioned above. It had been leant up against a wall (yeah, dumb) and my wife knocked it over and the headstock snapped clean off. I took it to the shop in Etalle to see if a repair was viable because I loved that guitar, cheap as it was (I knew nothing about guitars then). The person I spoke to in the shop was very kind but said there was no hope - this was the day I learned about MDF guitars :D They did sell me a very nice Yamaha though at a very good price.

And yes, St Mard was very quiet - our idea of a fun packed day out was to go over to Cora at Messancy for a McDonalds :D Our eldest son's first McDonalds experience was there when he was under a year old - we'd eat and he'd play with the paper bag. We had a number of happy meal toys from there that kept him occupied for ages. He's now 17 and still loves McDonalds :D

The Orval I certainly miss, but not sure we ever came across pâté gaumais - somehow managed to miss that one.

• 5 weeks later...