Why become a member? ×

TC Toneprint

radiophonic

I've had a Flashback for about a year but have only just started to look at the toneprint possibilities. It's far more powerful than I'd imagined. I'd been trying to get a Tremolo type effect out of the standard 2290 delay setting, with limited success. After a bit of trawling around Reddit, I found a bunch of screenshots that - whilst not perfect - can achieve the effect I'm after by swapping the chorus modulation for a through zero flanger and reassigning the functionality of the delay and feedback controls. Result. However, TC in their infinite wisdom don't let you upload user generated prints to mobile devices or to any central 'file exchange', making user exchanges of actual files or discussion of optimal parameters difficult. I'm not sure of their reasoning - pretty much [u]the[/u] most common complaint about toneprint is the lack of a mobile upload option, but they seem to have 'solved' the issue by offering three slots on the new FB and HoF pedals, so in theory you wouldn't need to reload on the fly. Does anyone know of any repository of toneprint screenshots? There must be a tonne of them out there. I've noticed some comments on Reddit to the effect that so many of the parameters that you can access via Toneprint are common to multiple pedals that they become almost interchangeable and many of the functionality combinations could be achieved using a pair of Flashback Mini pedals. I'd be interested to know if anyone on here has dug into this. Again, comparing screenshots of prints from different pedals might offer some insights about the level of redundancy across the range.

Yup. The lack of easy sharing of TonePrints is a pretty annoying omission from TC. I don't know of a specific "TonePrint screenshot marketplace" but maybe try Talkbass if you haven't already?

On a side note, Source Audio have a similar editor for their pedals which allows and encourages the uploading and sharing of custom pedal settings. Maybe look into some of their pedals. Technical support from SA tends to be rather good too so if something isn't quite behaving as you expect you can often get help quickly.

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1502180560' post='3349719']
Yup. The lack of easy sharing of TonePrints is a pretty annoying omission from TC. I don't know of a specific "TonePrint screenshot marketplace" but maybe try Talkbass if you haven't already?

On a side note, Source Audio have a similar editor for their pedals which allows and encourages the uploading and sharing of custom pedal settings. Maybe look into some of their pedals. Technical support from SA tends to be rather good too so if something isn't quite behaving as you expect you can often get help quickly.
[/quote]

Well, I wasn't planning on buying anything new! I have a FB and I'm looking to rinse everything I can out of it. I will take a look at Source Audio though. Trawling through the TC forum, most of the threads are very short and many of the answers are simply 'no'. I'm wondering if the recent Behringer takeover has had an effect on their attitude to IP (idle musing, no evidence). It seems like they've gone half-way with Toneprint and ignored the huge community potential that exists. There are some real geeks out there! I can't even get a breakdown of what all the parameters in the editor actually do. The sliders are very coarse too - manual value entry would be a useful option. There's also some suggestion on other forums that some parameters are still hidden, compared to the pro editor. If true, that would be a shame. Looks like I'll be spending more time wading through the archives on Reddit!

I am in the same position just having bought a sub n up. There are so many possibilities that it's hard to know where to start. It's a fantastic system, just needs to be opened up access wise. I spent an hour tonight just fiddling about but it would be nice to have access to a bank of user created tones. The other frustration is that I can only use the beam on their TonePrints and you can only use the editor whilst wired up which is a pain. I still love it though, much better with a slightly flawed system than no system at all.

I'm now 100% sure this is down to a commercial decision and nothing to do with technical challenges. Given the overlap in parameters between the various modulation/delay pedals, if you could 'save and beam' all your own prints, there would be slightly less reason to buy the main pedals. A couple of Flashback Mini's would potentially cover your needs - although I for one prefer on the fly adjustment and would still get a full sized pedal. I'm already finding the lack of beam options very annoying. At practice last night, I wanted a custom tremolo effect that I have saved on a computer at home, but the tone-print slot was already in use. I ended up using an ad-hoc rapid delay solution. This defeats the object of the technology. If it isn't flexible enough to use live and on-demand, then I don't see the point. 10/10 for the idea. 4/10 for the implementation.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1502222801' post='3350122']
I am in the same position just having bought a sub n up. There are so many possibilities that it's hard to know where to start. It's a fantastic system, just needs to be opened up access wise. I spent an hour tonight just fiddling about but it would be nice to have access to a bank of user created tones. The other frustration is that I can only use the beam on their TonePrints and you can only use the editor whilst wired up which is a pain. I still love it though, much better with a slightly flawed system than no system at all.
[/quote]

What are the options in the Sub'n'Up? The Flashback and Corona share a [u]lot[/u] of functionality (all the Chrorus options are Flashback Modulation options), you just lose one use definable knob which makes a Flashback Chorus, Flanger or Trem pedal a bit less flexible than a Corona version of the same pedal. I'd imagine the Sub is very different?