Why become a member? ×

Beat Buddy causes annoying hum from bass amp/cab

JazzBass4624

I run my bass through a LMIII/VanderKley rig.
To get the sound I want I use a Boss compressor and a Boss chorus. Both stomp boxes get their power from an 9V adapter with daisy chain.
In addition my band uses a Beat Buddy "drum computer" which comes with its own 9V adapter.
For convenience and because the BB adapter is certainly not a high end piece of equipment I connected my BB to the daisy chain.
Signal from the BB goes directly into a PA system.
As soon as I connect the BB to the daisy chain my bass amp/cab starts humming very noticeably. Apart from that the BB works.
If I use the original BB adapter and plug it into the same 230V socket the hum is gone.
For the moment no problem but this BB adapter doesn't look like its going to serve me very long so I need to solve this.
Abybody an idea?
Thanks in advance,
Ernest

The Beatbuddy is introducing noise because it's a fairly power hungry digital pedal and doesn't like sharing power with your other FX. The reason the noise goes away when you use the supplied power adapter is because it's isolated from your other pedals. In very basic terms it can't "see" them so it's happy :lol:

Your solution would be to get an isolated power supply with several outputs . There are users here on Basschat who can recommend decent ones for not too much money. The benefit of a dedicated, isolated power supply is you'll have spare outputs left over should you invest in more pedals at some point in future. You'll have to double check that the supply is able to feed your Beatbuddy at least 350mA of power from one of its outputs.

If you're absolutely certain you won't be getting any more effects then get something like a GigRig Timelord which will plug straight into one of the outputs on your existing daisy chain and allow you to isolate JUST the Beatbuddy on its own.

Hope this helps!

[quote name='JazzBass4624' timestamp='1503047123' post='3355258']
Current chain adapter supplies 1300 mA which apparently is not enough for both stompboxes and BB.
[/quote]

1300mA from the daisy chain is enough to power the three pedals, it's just the lack of isolation causing the issue.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1503048818' post='3355286']
I like the T Rex Fuel Tank JR. 5 outlets

[url="http://www.t-rex-effects.com/fueltank-junior/"]http://www.t-rex-effects.com/fueltank-junior/[/url]
[/quote]

You won't be able to run the Beat Buddy off this though as none of the outputs supply a high enough current...