Why become a member? ×

Photographing Live Music - a Webshots guide

OldGit

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='322244' date='Nov 4 2008, 09:50 PM']That's great, thanks. I'll get the wife to study these so she can re-create them with our snappy camera when we next play the local pub. :)

Only teasing...they're great shots.[/quote]

Ha ha yeah well .. They are for serious snappers but there are some general points that work snapping you in the pub..
Especially to turn off the flash. So many websites have nicely flashed pictures of the back of the audience members' heads with some dark band member shapes in the distance, or there's no stage lights .. hummm

[url="http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:industry:stage_lighting"]http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:industry:stage_lighting[/url]

Cheers
OG

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='322259' date='Nov 4 2008, 10:10 PM']Ha ha yeah well .. They are for serious snappers but there are some general points that work snapping you in the pub..
[b]Especially to turn off the flash[/b]. So many websites have nicely flashed pictures of the back of the audience members' heads with some dark band member shapes in the distance, or there's no stage lights .. hummm[/quote]

It never ceases to amaze me how many people completely ignore this!! Surely they can tell I look much better in the dark :)

Great advice as always OG, you're a goldmine of usefulness, nice one!

[quote name='mike257' post='322287' date='Nov 4 2008, 10:52 PM']It never ceases to amaze me how many people completely ignore this!! Surely they can tell I look much better in the dark :)

Great advice as always OG, you're a goldmine of usefulness, nice one![/quote]

Thanks for your nice comment, Mike

Cheers OG, an great article. :)

Another I'd recommend is [url="http://photo.net/concerts/mirarchi/concer_i"]http://photo.net/concerts/mirarchi/concer_i[/url] - based on Jon Sievert's excellent book, which is well worth hunting down if you enjoy photographing gigs. Both were written before digital photography really took off, but are still very relevant (except perhaps for the info about films). For small gigs I'd agree with the comment about an f1.4/1.8 50mm lens - the lighting at your typical toilet circuit gig is usually pretty poor and it's usually easy enough to get near the front.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='322506' date='Nov 5 2008, 10:31 AM']There's nowt worse than a band's website stuffed with images of pub gigs taken with a flash. It might as well be the drummer's (parents') living room...[/quote]

+1 (actually + several thousand)

Your band images are always good, and it's not just because you tend to play nice professionally lit venues ..

10 good images, well chosen, cropped and well presented, will do so much more for your band than 100 crap pictures.

It's a side effect of easily available technology; People take 200 pictures at a toilet gig because they can. Then, just because they have them, the put them all up on their website in a gallery labeled "Kings Head Peckham 2/2/08" with nary a thought as to what the pictures will say about their band.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='322579' date='Nov 5 2008, 12:19 PM']Using flash isn't a problem if you are sensitive to the range. Not too close and not too far and make sure there are no obstructions in the foreground to light up.[/quote]

Sure and you can get some great effects but most people just leave it to the camera to decide :)