Why become a member? ×

JAMES TYLER 4 STRING BASS - WITHDRAWN

7string

Well here’s bass I thought I’d never, ever sell. The reason that I’m selling is that my music is going in a certain direction and I want to upgrade some other gear. As I have other basses and the ACG 9 string on the way, it makes sense to sell the Tyler buy other gear with the proceeds.

For sale is my James Tyler 4 string bass. These are a rare sight indeed, especially as James Tyler hasn’t made basses for the last 6 years or so. I bought this from The Gallery in London just a couple of months ago and I’m looking to get back what I paid. This will go on eBay, but if I get an offer for the asking price then I’ll stop the auction straight away if no bids have been offered at that time.

James Tyler’s guitars are known the world over for their amazing playability and awesome sound. Like some of the guitars, this bass is made of what James Tyler calls Mamywo or Malaysian Mystery Wood, so this bass is very light in weight. The maple neck carries a fingerboard made from Pau Ferro which is a member of the rosewood family. The neck join is shaped to make playing in the upper registers as easy as down low. The original tuners have been replaced by a previous owner for lighter Hipshot Ultralites.

Electronics-wise we have 2 Bartolini humbuckers with the legendary James Demeter 18v circuit. Controls are volume, pan, and gain but instead of a regular 3 band eq of high, mid and low, the tone-shaping circuitry has switchable eq centres. The effects of this eq are subtle and leave little wonder as to why many session musicians use Tyler basses as the tone can be shaped to sit in any mix. Unfortunately, the exact technical specification is not available. I sent an e-mail to both Tyler and Demeter but received no reply.

The playability of this Tyler 4 string bass is second to none as the neck on this lightweight bass is really something to be admired. It is indeed a ‘Goldilocks’ neck, neither to thin or too fat, or too deep or too shallow.

This instrument carries serial number 198 and was first purchased in California. From there it was sold to a player in Vancouver, then to a top session musician in the UK who sold it through The Gallery in London

The condition is very good. There are a couple of dings, but these are not through the paint and only show if you look hard under certain lighting condition.

The bass comes with its original case. It’s not the most stunning case to look at but it fits the bass wells and affords adequate protection.

An mp3 demonstration of this bass is available, just click below.

[url="http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/85432/Tyler%20demo.mp3"]http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/85432/Tyler%20demo.mp3[/url]

[size=5][color="#FF0000"][u]DELIVERY INFO[/u][/color][/size]

The best delivery price within the UK is £45 via UPS Standard. That includes full insurance up to £1500.
Cash on collection is always an option!
Also, I can delivery the bass within 100 miles of Glasgow for £20.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Edited by 7string

My wife stopped the eBay auction.

The plan was to sell the Tyler as I've bought a used Taylor GS acoustic as my music is using a lot of 6 string acoustic. The funds would cover the cost of the GS and the leftover would be to good use. However. whilst I was asleep this afternoon, my wife stopped the auction determined that I should not have to sell a bass which meant so much to me and which I probably would not be able to replace due to it's rarity.

To be honest, I've felt quite humbled by this especially as it makes money a little tighter. Jen (my wife) didn't see it that way and so I have both the Tyler and a Taylor.

I definately married the right girl.

Edited by 7string

[quote name='7string' post='329403' date='Nov 14 2008, 08:57 PM']My wife stopped the eBay auction.

The plan was to sell the Tyler as I've bought a used Taylor GS acoustic as my music is using a lot of 6 string acoustic. The funds would cover the cost of the GS and the leftover would be to good use. However. whilst I was asleep this afternoon, my wife stopped the auction determined that I should not have to sell a bass which meant so much to me and which I probably would not be able to replace due to it's rarity.

To be honest, I've felt quite humbled by this especially as it makes money a little tighter. Jen (my wife) didn't see it that way and so I have both the Tyler and a Taylor.

I definately married the right girl.[/quote]My Wife is the same, one in a million.
Billion. :)