Why become a member? ×

Double neck Shergold 4/8 string

TheGreek

Wow! That's a rare and impressive instrument and is historically important! However, I can't see any situation where I'd need a 4-string and an 8-string bass in the same song! Still would buy it though, if I had spare cash sloshing about. Of course I have not...

Edited by discreet

It’s over priced they tend to go for under a grand. I’ve had two - the modulator doubles are the more collectible because of the Rutherford connection. Shergold is a great make but these are niche instruments not the most practical of double necks as they are very neck heavy thanks to the multitude of tuners!

Have to say it was originally mine. Always wondered what happened to it.

I had it custom built. Shergold didn't make an 8 string at the time and suggested trying to adapt their 6 string.

Cost me £600 back around 1980 i think it was.
And that is the original case that came with it too.

I traded it for a new Aria Pro SB1000
Here.s me with it many moons ago
[attachment=256385:old photos_0004_NEW (2).jpg]

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1509135904' post='3396996']
...it was originally mine. Always wondered what happened to it.
[/quote]

That's great. What are the chances? Loving that pic, too. Hair! You should buy it back and keep it for posterior.

Edited by discreet

I did consider it as it was one of my first proper basses. Might have been as early as 78 the more i think of it but at £1800 its a bit steep for a Shergold twin neck.
Its not something i would ever really play as its was far too heavy to do a full gig with.
Maybe a novelty song.

I was into Genesis at the time and just had a hankering for an 8 string. Wasn't into the fretless at that time.

I tried looking for it as it was traded into a local shop in Hamilton Scotland. Was a bit surprised to see it's now in London.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Good to hear from Dave the original owner - mine was a 4 and an 8 and I also had a fretted and fretless. I got both on a whim and quickly sold them as they were heavy beasts! The 8 string was nice to play but a bugger to keep in tune! There’s an 8 string Shergold at Bass direct at the moment - it’s been there for ages I asked him if they’d accept a sensible price but they declined ;)

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1509137316' post='3397008']
Good to hear from Dave the original owner - mine was a 4 and an 8 and I also had a fretted and fretless. I got both on a whim and quickly sold them as they were heavy beasts! The 8 string was nice to play but a bugger to keep in tune! There's an 8 string Shergold at Bass direct at the moment - it's been there for ages I asked him if they'd accept a sensible price but they declined ;)
[/quote]

Did you own this one at some point too ?