Why become a member? ×

Hmmm...interesting...

TheGreek

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1509716243' post='3401139']
look like guitar tuners to me ?
Maybe not up to the job of bass strings ?

I'm just guessing here.
Dave
[/quote]

Guitar tuners are perfectly capable of dealing with bass strings. Plenty of basses have used them successfully over the years. You don't need those massive ugly things that Fender insist on fitting to their basses.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1509716860' post='3401145']
.... You don't need those massive ugly things that Fender insist on fitting to their basses.
[/quote]

I completely agree

My original reference was to the position of the tuners

Edited by TheGreek

Not being a fan of these basses what's the issue with the positioning ?

I always assumed bass tuners were heavier duty because of the string size but everydays a school day.
Do the larger size tuners not help secure the strings and prevent string slip and de-tuning. ?

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1509740232' post='3401392']
Not being a fan of these basses what's the issue with the positioning ?

I always assumed bass tuners were heavier duty because of the string size but everydays a school day.
Do the larger size tuners not help secure the strings and prevent string slip and de-tuning. ?

Dave
[/quote]

Remember that the highest tension strings on a bass are the D and G which are the same gauge as the heavier E and A strings on a guitar. The other bass strings get lower in tension as they get thicker. The larger diameter winding post can be useful but only if the gear ratio has been adjusted to take that into account. You only need 2 complete turns of string around the machine head post to prevent slippage, and you should only wind more if you need to for the break angle over the nut. The biggest issue with using guitar sized machine heads is making sure that the thicker strings fit through the hole in the post.

Edited by BigRedX